Should I become a on car supervisor

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My last Oncar who quit UPS (there were 3) started as a preloader, then PDS, then Oncar, because he didn't want to wait for a driver job to open up. He was Oncar for 4 years, then became increasingly discouraged due to not having his ideas taken seriously.
Oh yeah, UPS would have taken his ideas a whole lot more seriously if he had been a driver.
At UPS, everyone you'll ever meet at the District level is simply a cog in the machine whose job is to execute their job as defined.

I don't think I could be a supervisor at UPS these days.

Last edited:

BrownInTx

I don't know a single full-time employee at UPS who couldn't tell you the exact month and year that they gained seniority. It is too important for vacation selection or bidding routes. The fact that you "believe" this will be your third year ft, makes me now question your whole story.

When it's my turn to bid I just make sure no one that has lower seniority has bid already. Same with vacations. May 2012 was my hire date. I'd have to look at my ft seniority date to be 100% positive. After 6 months of being a tcd I went ft though.

jaker

trolling
Oh yeah, UPS would have taken his ideas a whole lot more seriously if he had been a driver.
At UPS, everyone you'll ever meet at the District level is simply a cog in the machine whose job is to execute their job as defined.

As a driver we know they don't care what we think , but as a sup you would think they do but they don't

BrownInTx

The more you post the more you sound like you need to go management

The bad is you got a very jaded view of what being a sup is, but it might not matter you might have the needs to be a sup since you are complaining already with only two years in

I appreciate your observation. Not complaining just mentioning my dislikes. Let's face it both have pros and cons.

I don't know a single full-time employee at UPS who couldn't tell you the exact month and year that they gained seniority. It is too important for vacation selection or bidding routes. The fact that you "believe" this will be your third year ft, makes me now question your whole story.
I know all 8 of my seniority dates. MLK jr day 1991 was the worst one if them.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

Drivers aren't mgmt and therefore not surprised generally shocked when mgmt doesn't care to hear their thoughts.

The Oncar in my example was rather idealistic and believed his ideas would be valued. They weren't.

BrownInTx

My last Oncar who quit UPS (there were 3) started as a preloader, then PDS, then Oncar, because he didn't want to wait for a driver job to open up. He was Oncar for 4 years, then became increasingly discouraged due to not having his ideas taken seriously.

The DM's don't usually want any suggestions from a lowly center manager or Oncar. Just yes men.

He finally quit in disgust, like the other two, when he found out there was no way to return to driving. He returned to college, trained for a different career, and started over financially. It's not an uncommon story.

The second guy was told he was being required to relocate (as a 17 year employee) and he refused. He purchased a sandwich shop and started over financially.

The third guy was sent to Alaska as a way of saying "thank you for speaking your mind" too often. He now enjoys a satisfying career in real estate. He started over financially.

As a bonus, a 4th guy, who went from car wash, to driver, to Oncar then center manager, was transferred to one the toughest centers in CA. Compton, I think? He now works for FedEx.

Sure, they know how to pick leaders out of the crowd. We've all seen how well they know how to pick them.

Very interesting. I had no clue they could just transfer you without you agreeing. Our older on car sup said he would relocate for the right offer. If not he would stay here. This is a big turnoff if they can just move you at will.

Re-Raise

When it's my turn to bid I just make sure no one that has lower seniority has bid already. Same with vacations. May 2012 was my hire date. I'd have to look at my ft seniority date to be 100% positive. After 6 months of being a tcd I went ft though.
At my center you also have to put your full-time seniority date on any 8 hr request, 8 hr optional day, or 10 hour optional day request forms.

The fact that you don't even know that date after being a driver for three years seems pretty odd to me.

Very interesting. I had no clue they could just transfer you without you agreeing. Our older on car sup said he would relocate for the right offer. If not he would stay here. This is a big turnoff if they can just move you at will.
In the late 80s / early 90s the joke was if a sup left. They were sent to alaska on special assignment. That's where you were sent if you screwed up.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 23 years

When I first started (71) and up until I believe the early 90s center manager's were shuffled around about every 5 years (or less). I can't even remember all the ones I had in 30 years. For the most part they were all the same-----come in smoking- thinking they are going to set the world on fire and then after a couple years give up trying to make our center a #1 operation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you let these guys make the decision for you (on the internet), then you really were not a leader anyway.

by the way I was a driver for 10+ years and now have well over 10+ in management, when I compare them side by side my management position comes out on top.
You're not a leader, you're a manager. Big difference.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just my opinion... But judging by OP's comments, I think he was really leaning towards going into management and was just looking for a slight nudge towards what he wanted. It's clear he wants to be a sup and I have a feeling he will make the jump over.

By The Book

Main guy that relays messages from upper management ?
Sometimes when a new supervisor is needed , it is someone who is transferred from a nearby center. If this is the case and you have the opportunity to go to this nearby center as an oncar, I would do it. The employees that you'd be managing wouldn't know you, and I think you'd be more effective. Whatever choice you make just go all in, no regrets that way.