Tool talk

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Who make the internal parts? Probably the same factories in China, although some manufactures may require higher quality parts for different lines of product.

Most of them have special models with cheaper parts for places like Walmart.

I wish that I could find the reference material but, most of the tools / parts are made by about 10 or less factories. The same factories that make the supposed high end stuff like Milwaukee also make sub-par tools and parts that go into Skil and Walmart stuff. It's the quality assurance in the process that is the problem not always the parts. (but sometimes)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I wish that I could find the reference material but, most of the tools / parts are made by about 10 or less factories. The same factories that make the supposed high end stuff like Milwaukee also make sub-par tools and parts that go into Skil and Walmart stuff. It's the quality assurance in the process that is the problem not always the parts. (but sometimes)
I think the difference is things like thinner wire in motors, and nylon bushings.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I think the difference is things like thinner wire in motors, and nylon bushings.

That could be as well. The article I had read was more along the lines of a research document. They noted that things with quality assurance and tolerances were what separated the higher end stuff with the sub-par stuff.

rod

Retired 23 years
I'm sure some tools are better than others but the bottom line is they all have plastic gears and are made to eventually break down. I have an old half inch drill I got from my father-in-law that weighs about 20 pounds and you have to hang onto it with both hands. I know it would break your wrists if it got hung up and you hung onto it. It runs at about 800 rpm. I guarantee you there isn't any plastic gears in it. :-)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I got a worm drive saw from my grandpa. i only used it once, and it's stored away right now, but I believe it has a toggle switch instead of a trigger. That's when I finally understood those old cartoons where the circular saw would take off on its own.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Your thumb looks like a big toe...
upload_2020-1-16_7-11-22.png
Gm4tnXcctk5n.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm still using a grinder and a drill press I got for a "Safe Driving" award a hundred years ago.

That's hilarious, "great job driving safe, here are some power tools that aren't very likely to maim you."

I currently have several restoration projects sitting under tarps for the time being. A shop grade band saw, a radial arm saw, a wood lathe, and a drill press. Have some old handheld power tool restoration projects as well, my grandpa's worm drive circular saw, a belt sander, and there may be a few others I'm forgetting. Boy, it'll be nice to have time to work on those some day.

rod

Retired 23 years
That's hilarious, "great job driving safe, here are some power tools that aren't very likely to maim you."

I currently have several restoration projects sitting under tarps for the time being. A shop grade band saw, a radial arm saw, a wood lathe, and a drill press. Have some old handheld power tool restoration projects as well, my grandpa's worm drive circular saw, a belt sander, and there may be a few others I'm forgetting. Boy, it'll be nice to have time to work on those some day.
They also used to give 12 ga. shotguns for prizes

rod

Retired 23 years
Sweet, I'd stop rolling through stop signs for a shot gun, especially if I get a gun rack mounted on the bulkhead! Just kidding, nothing will stop me from rolling through stop signs. :lol:
Its time to give up your license if you don't roll through stop signs and speed up on a yellow light.