Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Cops have rules of engagement when using deadly force. Your scenario probably does not apply to the officer.

Cops are human beings with survival instincts, just like civilians.

From a legal standpoint they, like civilians, are allowed to use a reasonable level of force to meet a threat.

A reasonable person could draw the conclusion that a 300 lb man who assaults you, overpowers you and attempts to take your gun away is doing so because he intends to use it on you, and if you are outweighed by 100 lbs and are in imminent danger of having your gun taken away then your only reasonable option at that point is to kill him before he kills you.

bbsam

Staff member

From a legal standpoint they, like civilians, are allowed to use a reasonable level of force to meet a threat.

A reasonable person could draw the conclusion that a 300 lb man who assaults you, overpowers you and attempts to take your gun away is doing so because he intends to use it on you, and if you are outweighed by 100 lbs and are in imminent danger of having your gun taken away then your only reasonable option at that point is to kill him before he kills you.
That's what courts are for.

wkmac

Correct but at the same time, if a cop crosses a line with a civilian, I defend the civilian to repel that cop even to the point of blowing the cop away. A costume and a special badge doesn't grant special rights to violate the law anymore than any of us are able to do the same.

The right of self defense and the right to stand one's ground is unalienable for all IMO so there you go. If you think otherwise you are actually IMO arguing against the very basis of the 2nd amendment as well as the ideal in the Declaration of Independence of the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Also to be consistent you'd have to side with the British and argue that American Independence was and is wrong.

As to Brown and Wilson, I'm not convinced yet that either are fully innocent here.

Last edited:

soberups

That's what courts are for.
The courts are required to take into account the fact that human beings who are in fear for their lives and being assaulted must often make split-second life-or-death decisions under the influence of adrenaline. This is a biological fact and one that no amount of "training" can overcome. Cops are human too. If you are flat on your back on the seat of a car getting beat down by a guy who outweighs you by 100 lbs then it is entirely possible that your decision-making is not going to be at its best. The blame for this would rest with the assailant and not with you.

bbsam

Staff member
Excuse me Mr. Thug- could you please refrain from smashing my face in and taking my weapon for use to shoot me with until my backup arrives? Much appreciated; thank you very much!
Oh. The whole thing from robbery to shooting took only seconds? You sure about that?

bbsam

Staff member
The courts are required to take into account the fact that human beings who are in fear for their lives and being assaulted must often make split-second life-or-death decisions under the influence of adrenaline. This is a biological fact and one that no amount of "training" can overcome. Cops are human too. If you are flat on your back on the seat of a car getting beat down by a guy who outweighs you by 100 lbs then it is entirely possible that your decision-making is not going to be at its best. The blame for this would rest with the assailant and not with you.
The courts also must take into account an officer's state of mind after the initial assault. If it is shown that assault had ended and the cop in a rage followed and killed the suspect...well, as I said, that's what courts are for.

soberups

As to Brown and Wilson, I'm not convinced yet that either are fully innocent here.

Brown is clearly guilty of strong-armed robbery against the store clerk.

His choice to commit this violent crime set into motion a chain of events that ultimately led to his death.

Much has been made of the fact that Wilson (allegedly) did not yet know that Brown had committed the crime when he stopped him on the street. Brown, however, was well aware of the fact that he had just committed the crime, and he almost certainly assumed that the Wilson knew it too....which would explain his reaction.

Wilson might be "guilty" of not following proper training, or for spazzing through a full mag of ammo under the influence of adrenaline. I have a hard time believing that he got out of bed that morning and decided to go shoot a black guy just for the hell of it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Excuse me Mr. Thug- could you please refrain from smashing my face in and taking my weapon for use to shoot me with until my backup arrives? Much appreciated; thank you very much!
Wilson's problem is that he didn't kill him during the struggle at the car. Executing someone from 20-30 feet away, who has already been shot and was supposedly surrendering, seems more like revenge for taking a beating than it does self defense.

soberups

The courts also must take into account an officer's state of mind after the initial assault. If it is shown that assault had ended and the cop in a rage followed and killed the suspect...well, as I said, that's what courts are for.
If Wilson did in fact follow Brown in a rage and execute him in cold blood, then by all means he should be held accountable. I don't think that is what happened though.

bbsam

Staff member

His choice to commit this violent crime set into motion a chain of events that ultimately led to his death.

Much has been made of the fact that Wilson (allegedly) did not yet know that Brown had committed the crime when he stopped him on the street. Brown, however, was well aware of the fact that he had just committed the crime, and he almost certainly assumed that the Wilson knew it too....which would explain his reaction.

Wilson might be "guilty" of not following proper training, or for spazzing through a full mag of ammo under the influence of adrenaline. I have a hard time believing that he got out of bed that morning and decided to go shoot a black guy just for the hell of it.
I don't think anyone is saying he just decided to go shoot a black guy. But what you are describing is basically the difference between 1st and 2nd degrees. Malicious or a committed in the heat of the moment.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wilson's problem is that he didn't kill him during the struggle at the car. Executing someone from 20-30 feet away, who has already been shot and was supposedly surrendering, seems more like revenge for taking a beating than it does self defense.

You were there and know he executed him from 30 feet away? Or are you relying on the word of an accomplice to robbery? Who was ALSO too stupid to follow the lawful ORDER of a policeman.

If these losers had just gotten out of the street when he told them to, brown would be in jail, and Officer Wilson would have been fine.

wkmac

If Wilson did in fact follow Brown in a rage and execute him in cold blood, then by all means he should be held accountable. I don't think that is what happened though.

We can't prove it one way or the other IMO. Both sides are too emotionally wrapped in agendas and both sides have a real incentive to lie.

wkmac

The video I saw that was supposed to be Brown, I honestly could not tell it was Brown or not. Experts told me what I was watching but they couldn't convince me it was or wasn't Brown. If I was a juror and that was all that was presented, Brown would walk because the evidence doesn't support the claim to the point of convincing me.

His choice
to commit this violent crime set into motion a chain of events that ultimately led to his death.

I've heard mixed stories that Wilson was not aware of said event and then others claim he was. Again, seems to me the truth got lost once more.

I don't believe that for one minute. There is no evidence to even give this legs for even theoretical speculation IMO. I'm betting Wilson wishes he'd have called in sick that day and if Brown had the chance, he may have stayed home that day as well. Both men would be the better off could this bad movie of a day get rewound but that is not to be.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You're making things up.
Or you just wanting to believe 1 side of the story, and throw away the rest of the testimonies.
Too bad you chose to throw away the police officer's testimony and believe the criminals and welfare queens.