Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

bbsam

Staff member
It's nothing sinister or unexpected...in fact I feel rather hopeful. For all the dismissive talk of the "race card", we have serious race problems in this country. Blacks certainly aren't blameless but neither are they the sole perpetrators.

Langston Hughe's got it exactly right on a personal and societal level while answering the question, "What happens to a dream deferred? "

There's nothing sinister here, just the natural progression. According to the written law, the grand jury got it right. Justice is a funny thing though. It doesn't only live in court rooms and the "not guilty" don't always get to live "happily ever after". Sometimes neighborhoods burn and violence erupts. We shouldn't act surprised. We will continue to see what happens to a dream deferred. It explodes.
Senseless? Yeah. Still true. The best we've been able to do so far in 60 years has been to begin breeding ourselves out of it. Of course, then a beautiful Cheerios commercial comes along to show us how far we have left to go.

moreluck

golden ticket member
2lm8guu.gif

oldngray

nowhere special
Listening to the talking heads on the news this morning. Some are complaining the police didn't do enough to control the rioters (but earlier were complaining about the police presence was too strong). No win scenario. They also complained about firefighters not putting out fires but ignoring the procedure of the firefighters leave when there is gunfire. Some of the stores that were looted had boarded up windows with the hands up symbol that was supposed to protect them but there were too many people there with intent to loot regardless of the grand jury decision. The case probably never should have gone to a grand jury with the evidence available but politics forced it to happen even though there was little chance of ever getting a conviction. One of the CNN talking heads was saying it should go to trial anyway like throwing darts at Wilson hoping some charge would stick, but that ignores Wilson's rights. Brown's rights get all of the attention but Wilson also has rights.

upschuck

Really interesting decision to have this press conference at 8 p.m.
I wonder how things would have played out on the streets at 8 am.
It is probably a good thing that it was 8pm and not 8am simply because there would have been a lot more people out going to work, and the potential for more injuries. 8pm only people that were out were the protestors, all the others knew about decision, and stayed inside.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My daughter just texted me from her high school. She said that there were kids in all the classes at her school who refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance this morning, in protest. All races. Her friends at other schools told her the same thing. Sad day for our country.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My daughter just texted me from her high school. She said that there were kids in all the classes at her school who refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance this morning, in protest. All races. Her friends at other schools told her the same thing. Sad day for our country.
I think it is a great day for our country when students express their right of speech by refusing to stand and say the pledge. I remember doing that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I think it is a great day for our country when students express their right of speech by refusing to stand and say the pledge. I remember doing that.

I'll take the silent expression of free speech any day over the stupidity that's gone on in Ferguson. Makes a much louder statement whether you believe in the cause or not.

rod

Retired 23 years
I don't care if Wilson would have been ordered to go to trial and had been drug out of the court house and hung from the nearest tree. The burning and looting were going to happen no matter what. For the most part these rioters didn't give a crap about what happened to Brown--all they have been thinking all along is "we's gonna gets some free :censored2:". In a week or so they will all be crying that "some ones gots to be responsible for this--some ones gots to take care of my childrens now that there isn't any place to spend our WIC vouchers".

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't care if Wilson would have been ordered to go to trial and had been drug out of the court house and hung from the nearest tree. The burning and looting were going to happen no matter what. For the most part these rioters didn't give a crap about what happened to Brown--all they have been thinking all along is "we's gonna gets some free :censored2:". In a week or so they will all be crying that "some ones gots to be responsible for this--some ones gots to take care of my childrens now that there isn't any place to spend our WIC vouchers".

I was thinking the same thing last night looking at all the people with masks on. They came to riot, period.