Our Senior Manager said 3% raise for everyone October 1

falcon back

Why? is he under arrest or something?
Just curious why someone would be so specific why there is a employee shortage? He must have insight to know the employees are leaving for Amazon or is he just making waves with information that he has no knowledge of. The Memphis area is lined with warehouses and from what I have seen by reading the Memphis paper online, there are 1000's of open positions in various warehouses. Low skilled people are gonna change jobs every opportunity they get, regardless of what long term jobs could be obtained by sticking with 1 company. At least with Fedex, they can get free college tuition and a chance at a job to use that degree. Doubt Nike or Amazon offer those perks.

vantexan

How do you know why they are leaving or where they are going? There are plenty of warehouses in that area. Who is your source to say they are going to Amazon?
A lot of warehouses in Kansas City area too but Amazon paying $15hr to start plus immediate benefits is the driving force in the area. 5 or 6 Amazon facilities in the KC metro area. UPS was paying $13hr in their sort center for 20 hrs a week but if you showed up all week on time they were giving a $200 weekly bonus. That's how they competed with Amazon offering FT at $15hr.

dezguy

Hmmmmm... Amazon opens a distribution centre and offers higher wages than what FedEx is offering. Shortly after, FedEx employees start leaving the hub in waves.

Can anyone else connect the dots for olddolt?

McFeely

Huge Member
How do you know why they are leaving or where they are going? There are plenty of warehouses in that area. Who is your source to say they are going to Amazon?

Saw it posted by actual Memphis hub employees on the FedEx FB group.

I guess I figure they have some insight as to where their coworkers are going and why.

falcon back

Hmmmmm... Amazon opens a distribution centre and offers higher wages than what FedEx is offering. Shortly after, FedEx employees start leaving the hub in waves.

Can anyone else connect the dots for olddolt?
William Sonoma has a huge presence nearby, XPO has multiple warehouses, Nike is huge there. Highly doubtful Amazon is stealing all the hub workers. I saw that Sonoma was looking to hire 400. I would imagine some of their workers went to the Hub, Nike and Amazon. Unskilled workers are gonna job hop and go for quick money.

falcon back

Saw it posted by actual Memphis hub employees on the FedEx FB group.

I guess I figure they have some insight as to where their coworkers are going and why.
Oh, why didn't you say you read it on FB. It must be true then. Everyone knows whatever is posted on FB is the gospel.

dezguy

William Sonoma has a huge presence nearby, XPO has multiple warehouses, Nike is huge there. Highly doubtful Amazon is stealing all the hub workers. I saw that Sonoma was looking to hire 400. I would imagine some of their workers went to the Hub, Nike and Amazon. Unskilled workers are gonna job hop and go for quick money.
Except I have heard from several ops managers that the issue is Amazon poaching hub employees. I guess they're lying too, huh?