Two sorts?

vantexan

They’ve been trying to do that over 40 years. Will never work.
It will if enough freight is given to Ground. If they start fulltimers later and they have to be back for the reload there's no opportunity to stretch their day. Will only get OT coming in early to help cover sick calls or volunteer to work days off if needed. Except for Peak of course. In smaller markets they may struggle to get much more than 35 hrs.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It will if enough freight is given to Ground. If they start fulltimers later and they have to be back for the reload there's no opportunity to stretch their day. Will only get OT coming in early to help cover sick calls or volunteer to work days off if needed. Except for Peak of course. In smaller markets they may struggle to get much more than 35 hrs.
Fred and associates have gone out of their way to complicate a basically simple job. Now what would lead to more overtime? Complications or simplifications?

vantexan

Fred and associates have gone out of their way to complicate a basically simple job. Now what would lead to more overtime? Complications or simplifications?
In the last 40 years has Express ever had an outside workforce take a significant amount of volume permanently away from it? MrFedEx used to say that they were eventually going to give Ground freight and kill hours. Dano used to laugh and scoff at that. Looks like it's happening. They're giving more in pay but taking it back in hours. That has been their MO forever. Whatever they give here they take away there. If fulltimers come in later and have to be back for the reload by a certain time, then where is the OT coming from except for the exceptions noted? Even in stations with extended rts those rts are losing freight to Ground. Not complicating anything, it's the new normal.

CatMan

In the last 40 years has Express ever had an outside workforce take a significant amount of volume permanently away from it? MrFedEx used to say that they were eventually going to give Ground freight and kill hours. Dano used to laugh and scoff at that. Looks like it's happening. They're giving more in pay but taking it back in hours. That has been their MO forever. Whatever they give here they take away there. If fulltimers come in later and have to be back for the reload by a certain time, then where is the OT coming from except for the exceptions noted? Even in stations with extended rts those rts are losing freight to Ground. Not complicating anything, it's the new normal.
My station hasn't lost any volume to ground, ZIP!..Maybe if this pandemic ever ends and online shopping slows, well then we'll see...I'll believe it when I see it.

It will be fine

My station hasn't lost any volume to ground, ZIP!..Maybe if this pandemic ever ends and online shopping slows, well then we'll see...I'll believe it when I see it.
That’s not true. The diversion to Ground is well underway. I doubt there are any areas left that aren’t impacted. You may not notice it due to the additional other volume but I find it impossible that no volume has moved to Ground. Maybe if you’re in Alaska or Hawaii.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That’s not true. The diversion to Ground is well underway. I doubt there are any areas left that aren’t impacted. You may not notice it due to the additional other volume but I find it impossible that no volume has moved to Ground. Maybe if you’re in Alaska or Hawaii.
I did a pick up the other day and one stop shipped out over 300 packages. 160 of them were the ones to go through Ground.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Easy for you to say when you don't do the labor! It's the people that are hitting the asphalt all day that bear the physical and mental stress wondering what the friend is coming next.

Look back over the last 10 years of changes as they were discussed here. Most people freaked out like they're freaking out now and none of whatever it was they were worried about ever materialized to any significant degree.

That's why it's easy for me to say.

59 Dano

Because like the original post said, when was the last time this company gave its employees GOOD news? These anxious paranoid couriers are a creation of the company constantly trying to create new ways to keep us from top out, limit our hours, but increase the workload. Now during this Corona panic they want to cut first shift (the only reason most people stay here long term) to part time? Not to mention I’m sure we’re not getting a raise this year. Maybe if you looked at these guys as people instead of numbers on a spreadsheet you’d be more well liked on this forum.

Let's see, CDO was going to wreak havoc with employee hours. ROADS was going to eliminate handlers. ROADS was going to put a major dent in the number of FT couriers. The suspension of the 401k match was going to be permanent. Express was going to move to an all PT workforce three or four times. Aaaaand I've lost count of how many times Amazon was on the brink of putting Express out of business. There's no telling how many other ones I'm forgetting.

59 Dano

In the last 40 years has Express ever had an outside workforce take a significant amount of volume permanently away from it? MrFedEx used to say that they were eventually going to give Ground freight and kill hours. Dano used to laugh and scoff at that. Looks like it's happening.

LOL! What's happening now has only a slight resemblance to what MF predicted was going to be launched in 2012.

vantexan

Should Express be looking to increase courier hours?
Obviously not if the work isn't there. If FedEx is able to control OT will they stick to the new pay system and top people out in 9 years? If they eventually do away with the PPP, which looks very possible, and put it on the employee to finance his retirement through the 401k, that will be very difficult to do if strung out for 20+ years on topping out.