Union is done

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hearing a grievance locally is your locals issue, no one else to blame there. Now if you were only fortunate enough to be in the Central, you’d get your issues resolved with lightning speed.

It’ll take time Bubblehead, but at least we now have teeth in the process.
Getting grievances heard locally is a local issue and there are rules of procedure for the panels regarding placing cases on hold. Do you agree?
If your local isn't hearing your grievances you should vote them out.
If BA's aren't doing the job and they aren't getting satisfaction from PO on the issue then changes need to be made. The problem is changing every 3 years can be harmful also in some cases.

I can't believe this is all you 3 talking heads took from my post?
I only alluded once in the opening sentence to the local level, without saying whether the hearings were timely or not?
The bulk of the post outlined the lengthy process that would be far from a deterrent to the company on the topic of staffing levels.
The system is setup to allow the company to hide behind the procedure, in a pseudo-filabuster, one that discourages members from participating.
I'll repost my original thoughts to see if you guys can keep your "eyes on the ball".

Now tell them how long it will take to get the grievance heard locally?
Then after it is deadlocked and the mandatory company hold at the state panel 2-3 more months pass.
Then it is deadlocked to the regional JAC to be heard three months later, because no state panel will rule on such an important, possibly precedence setting issue.
Then the quarterly JAC hears the griavance and puts it on committee hold for 3 more months.
It's only at that subsequent JAC panel, that the matter is referred back to parties for final resolution, bringing the issue full circle and putting it right back on square one.
Of course if your fortunate enough to have it deadlocked again to the National level, it could be another 6 months, or even years if they decide to arbitrate.
Yea, it's a great system

I only alluded once in the opening sentence to the local level, without saying whether the hearings were timely or not?
The bulk of the post outlined the lengthy process that would be far from a deterrent to the company on the topic of staffing levels.
The system is setup to allow the company to hide behind the procedure, in a pseudo-filabuster, one that discourages members from participating.
I'll repost my original thoughts to see if you guys can keep your "eyes on the ball".
With all the knowledge that you have I think you should run I support you.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I for one think that we should leave the largest and most powerful union in North America to start up some rinky-dink UPS operation run by the kind of people who work at UPS. That'll do loads for our ability to bargain and our rights! Because a union that doesn't believe in shuttle-pay, is a union that I don't want to be in.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
No more Dues since I retired, paid them for over 25 years. Not here to stir up trouble as you say, but trying to give you a warning which to all the YES men here seems to be a Joke. Someday if and when you retire you will feel what myself and others do. We don't need sympathy as most like myself planned for our retirements well in advance. In 86 when the 401k started I jumped in thinking of my future. I am doing well Thank You, got my RV made a couple of trips up to Alaska for months at a time, been all over the SouthWest where I moved from Jersey , Yes life is good but for all you know it alls, you better be ready for some eye openers after you hang it up. You then have to rely on current members to decide your fate down the road, this is what I have been saying all along because before you know it the future will be here, and you will have to watch like I have the Teamsters slowly lose their clout. Lose their clout because of people who may not be looking ahead, thinking that when you retire and are handed your papers and told what your benefits will be etc etc, only to have them changed a few yrs down the road, so just be prepared because the way it looks all over this forum many of you think it is a Joke that I am trying to inform you as I was when I was a rookie back in 81 by the Senior members back then, I remember them giving me advice about the way I will be treated etc etc and it all came true in due time. Things change, I remember the 50 lb limit, then 70 , now 150, I remember many saying Saturday deliveries would never happen, Now 22.3 jobs, took me 9 months to get to top rate, now 4 years What a Joke...How did that happen, time bonus's gone, thrift plan,and for what it's worth Circle of Honor Awards, or any recognition of any sort. Not sure if they done away with Safe driving awards and if they did not they may have lowered the quality of awards. Yes Change you can count on it, the only thing you can't count on is Current Teamsters making the right decisions concerning the FUTURES OF EVERYONE NOW EMPLOYED AT UPS

I'll say it again Milkman, most of these guys on this site that have only 15 years or less in the company just don't get it. They have tunnel vision and can't see their future even if it was a heads up display on their trucks windshield!

Just remember folks, someday you will be retired and left without a vote. It's not fun watching this company take everything away that quite a few of us worked so hard to establish for you, the worker, today. Keep voting for those concessions.

Most of you probably have no idea that there even was a thrift plan. Or the fact, that a consignee could not receive more than a total of 50 pounds of packages and that they could only distribute that 50 lbs into three (3) or less packages. Yes, these of course were concessions that we gave away in order to build the company. But concessions that were needed in order to grow. Some of the concessions that many of you are voting on are downright pathetic.

Milkman has a right to post on this forum and display his feelings whether you as a reader like it or not. This is the passion that I wish every one of you could possess. Yes, he and I worked together in one of the strongest locals in the country at the time. It's pitiful to see what has become of our hard work. Whether you agree with the both of us is pointless. What is the truth is that someday you will be retired and will have to sit and watch like the thousands of retiree's before you. It is not a pretty sight seeing this Union disbanding right in front of our eyes and to read that most of you think it's fine.

Do you newbies even know what the time bonus is/was? Or that anyone hired before 1976 actually gets more per hour if they work the night shift? Do any of you even know what a beltman was? Or that a beltman actually got more money per hour than other clerks that almost matched drivers pay?

We live in the past here because we are sick and tired of the active employee's giving away hard earned language that us retirees fought hard to keep long ago. Good luck in YOUR retirement, you'll need it.

Big Bad Wolf

Ok Bojangles, you want what i have been wrong about, here goes? I will number them for you.
1. I was wrong in believing that the needs of all Teamster members matter to the I.B.T.
2. I was wrong in thinking that Jimmy Hoffa Jr. was someone who cared deeply about his members.
3. I was wrong thinking that hall was capable of negotiating the best U.P.S. contract in history, given the historic record profits that U.P.S. has been reporting.
4. I was wrong talking negatively about T.D.U.
5. I was wrong supporting Jimmy Hoffa Jr. for General President
6. I was wrong assuming that my U.P.S. benefits that far outweigh Teamcare would remain in tact.
7. I was wrong being proud of how strong the Teamster Union is.
8. I was wrong thinking that harassment would finally end with new language in this new Master.
9. I was wrong believing that hall and Mr. Hoffa would get legislation passed to protect our "unsustainable" Teamcare plan.
10. I was wrong thinking that i would never speak of joining another Union.

There is ten things i was wrong about. Please let me know if you need more proof, that i have no problem expressing when i am wrong!
1. I was right of the weak.

Did I blow your house down?

Big Bad Wolf

No more Dues since I retired, paid them for over 25 years. Not here to stir up trouble as you say, but trying to give you a warning which to all the YES men here seems to be a Joke. Someday if and when you retire you will feel what myself and others do. We don't need sympathy as most like myself planned for our retirements well in advance. In 86 when the 401k started I jumped in thinking of my future. I am doing well Thank You, got my RV made a couple of trips up to Alaska for months at a time, been all over the SouthWest where I moved from Jersey , Yes life is good but for all you know it alls, you better be ready for some eye openers after you hang it up. You then have to rely on current members to decide your fate down the road, this is what I have been saying all along because before you know it the future will be here, and you will have to watch like I have the Teamsters slowly lose their clout. Lose their clout because of people who may not be looking ahead, thinking that when you retire and are handed your papers and told what your benefits will be etc etc, only to have them changed a few yrs down the road, so just be prepared because the way it looks all over this forum many of you think it is a Joke that I am trying to inform you as I was when I was a rookie back in 81 by the Senior members back then, I remember them giving me advice about the way I will be treated etc etc and it all came true in due time. Things change, I remember the 50 lb limit, then 70 , now 150, I remember many saying Saturday deliveries would never happen, Now 22.3 jobs, took me 9 months to get to top rate, now 4 years What a Joke...How did that happen, time bonus's gone, thrift plan,and for what it's worth Circle of Honor Awards, or any recognition of any sort. Not sure if they done away with Safe driving awards and if they did not they may have lowered the quality of awards. Yes Change you can count on it, the only thing you can't count on is Current Teamsters making the right decisions concerning the FUTURES OF EVERYONE NOW EMPLOYED AT UPS
Where would we be if we kept the business plan stagnant, increased salaries and reduced production. This is why there are no CEO's on this forum.

ncupser82

I'll say it again Milkman, most of these guys on this site that have only 15 years or less in the company just don't get it. They have tunnel vision and can't see their future even if it was a heads up display on their trucks windshield!

Just remember folks, someday you will be retired and left without a vote. It's not fun watching this company take everything away that quite a few of us worked so hard to establish for you, the worker, today. Keep voting for those concessions.

Most of you probably have no idea that there even was a thrift plan. Or the fact, that a consignee could not receive more than a total of 50 pounds of packages and that they could only distribute that 50 lbs into three (3) or less packages. Yes, these of course were concessions that we gave away in order to build the company. But concessions that were needed in order to grow. Some of the concessions that many of you are voting on are downright pathetic.

Milkman has a right to post on this forum and display his feelings whether you as a reader like it or not. This is the passion that I wish every one of you could possess. Yes, he and I worked together in one of the strongest locals in the country at the time. It's pitiful to see what has become of our hard work. Whether you agree with the both of us is pointless. What is the truth is that someday you will be retired and will have to sit and watch like the thousands of retiree's before you. It is not a pretty sight seeing this Union disbanding right in front of our eyes and to read that most of you think it's fine.

Do you newbies even know what the time bonus is/was? Or that anyone hired before 1976 actually gets more per hour if they work the night shift? Do any of you even know what a beltman was? Or that a beltman actually got more money per hour than other clerks that almost matched drivers pay?

We live in the past here because we are sick and tired of the active employee's giving away hard earned language that us retirees fought hard to keep long ago. Good luck in YOUR retirement, you'll need it.
Man this pessimism is really dragging me down!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Irishman Collins

I think you struck a nerve Bubblehead. They are most likely part of the process and the problem.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Don't let them do it to you that's what they want.

What we want is for you guys to wake up and take a stand! No underlying theme at all, just laying it out there for you guys that are ill informed about how the company used to work. I bet you think you know it all and never take old timers advice. Sad to be a man like you...oh wait you're a frigging fish with no balls!

Stonefish

What we want is for you guys to wake up and take a stand! No underlying theme at all, just laying it out there for you guys that are ill informed about how the company used to work. I bet you think you know it all and never take old timers advice. Sad to be a man like you...oh wait you're a frigging fish with no balls!
We did take a stand, you just don't agree with our position. I have 28 years I know how the company used to work and how it works today. If you've been around any length of time you'll remember when the company used to tell customers if you aren't ready when our driver gets there oh well see ya tomorrow. There was no RPS or Fed Ex. The pension funds were not mature funds. There wasn't 6 retirees for every active. Freight made more than UPS. There was no deregulation. There were few right to work states. A gallon of gas was .24 in 1967. Maybe it is you that is ill informed about the reality of the world these days. We aren't living in the past.

ncupser82

I'm not the one boohooing...and what bed did I make again? I can understand you have no faith, but I go to meetings every month and it doesn't sound like our Union is dying. It doesn't sound like we are making a bunch of concessions! It sounds like our prez is fighting UPS tooth and nail to bring in full-time jobs, and he is succeeding! Maybe you're right, maybe I do have tunnel vision, but I'm not going to live in fear! Not because you tell me to, or because UPS tells me to! My primary concern is MAKING it to retirement and everything in between now and then...it's hard to speculate where I end up, who covers me medically, if I get a pension or social security, so on and so on...So for me it's an exercise in futility...however, I'm sorry you feel like you got screwed!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Stonefish

Maybe you can keep your "eyes on the ball". There can only be a pseudo-filabuster if it is allowed to happen.

10 point

You're beating your forehead against the wall with that species. Toss him back in the lake and forget about it. It's a waste of your time.

ncupser82

Sun Tzu says pick your battles. If you fight every battle you'll lose the one that matters the most! Thanks for the advice old timer!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I'm not the one boohooing...and what bed did I make again? I can understand you have no faith, but I go to meetings every month and it doesn't sound like our Union is dying. It doesn't sound like we are making a bunch of concessions! It sounds like our prez is fighting UPS tooth and nail to bring in full-time jobs, and he is succeeding! Maybe you're right, maybe I do have tunnel vision, but I'm not going to live in fear! Not because you tell me to, or because UPS tells me to! My primary concern is MAKING it to retirement and everything in between now and then...it's hard to speculate where I end up, who covers me medically, if I get a pension or social security, so on and so on...So for me it's an exercise in futility...however, I'm sorry you feel like you got screwed!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Where does it say in any of my posts that I feel as though I got screwed? I couldn't care any less what you guys do now. I have a wonderful retirement and I don't care if my healthcare goes up to $1000.00 a month, I can afford it. I planned well for my retirement. I'm sorry if you feel like it's an exercise in futility for yourself. Please don't feel sorry for me at all. I feel sorry for you because you make it seem in your post you are uncertain of anything about your future.

Live in fear is what you perceive from reading my post? Get a grip dude! Maybe someday you'll be able to live as I do, comfortably and only worry about your pool getting warm enough to swim in when May comes around.

Big Bad Wolf

I wouldn't call them "content". A better description of them would be lazy and stupid.
You blew your argument with stupid. I don't think our members are stupid. Some are misguided. But I'd rather people not vote if they didn't take time to learn. But we do vote and intrust people to do that stuff for us. Everybody knocks Hall, but for the last 18 years he has gotten us huge gains in money. He's good enough for Carey, yet booted because he is with Hoffa? For the Carey Old Guard followers, if Carey was still president today, guess who he would have as his head negotiator???? If you said Liem, Sylvester, Gegare, Pope or Zuckerman you would be wrong.