UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

UPS_Techie

Informed
jules23 said:
I was only making reference to the rumor you mentioned in your post and hoping it wasn't true and why. I did not believe when I read your post you were speaking on behalf of yourself. I took your post to mean that you heard the rumor and was passing it on to the rest of us. Please read the post - I was not personalizing the post to you or accusing you of anything.

Just wanted to clear up my thoughts on the whole issue. I will still have a job, I'm not breaking anything. I'll be one of the ones fixing it. I didn't take it personally. Thanks for the follow-up though!

ncrtscisme

well this thread is becoming quite the popular one...over 11,000 views...so I'm assuming that most TSC/TSG folks around the country are checking in from time to time. I have had my severance package for over a week now, and I'm wondering how many of you who haven't seen it want to take a "sneak peek".

Nice sense of humor, Tieguy, but unfortunately UPS_Techie was right in the fact that TSC/TSG has no control over those email servers...same with the AS400! I guess it's nice to go without those daily emails once in a while!

So are all you TSGers warning your users about the imminent decline of helpdesk quality to come? They're gonna just LOVE IT

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Just a few thoughts on what has been posted.

First off, welcome all you nerds ( no offense intended) to the best and most open site for all UPSers.

As an ex driver, and fairly new into computers, I would love to have your skills. Fact is, there are many needs that I have when it comes to computers that I really don't know. :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: (any one good at building websites?)

As for the crude exchanges between some of our drivers and you keyboard jockeys, sorry about that. As a practical matter, not one of us is glad you guys are getting the can. As to whether or not you could deliver packages like you rescue servers, there is no doubt. As to running circles around us, for the first week or so maybe. But being a driver is not about a week or two, but a lifetime commitment so running circles might be a stretch.:wink:

A UPS employee is a UPS employee no matter what he/she does. And being in the union I don't think would be the answer. Why UPS will not allow a highly trained individual to move into another position is beyond me. To have a redundantly trained workforce to me would be ideal.

As for the Fubar comment, i would hope that no one is that stupid, or thinks that they are that smart. This type of revenge is never the answer, and only will hurt anyone involved forever. Not a wise move.

My best to all affected, and only hope the company wises up before it loses the trained and dedicated workforce it has now.

d

ncrtscisme said:
So are all you TSGers warning your users about the imminent decline of helpdesk quality to come? They're gonna just LOVE IT

I don't sugar coat anything. They keep asking why they need to call help desk to get anything fixed even though I right there. Here's my spill....they are laying people off left and right. And BTW...enjoy the helpdesk while it lasts, because it will be outsourced by some goofballs that haven't set foot in UPS building before. Then when they can't fix it we will be stretched so thin you won't see us till the next day to fix it. Kinda like the entire city replacing the 911 call center with retards then cutting the police & fire department by 35%. What do you think will happen? Peak'06 is going to fun!

ncrtscisme

dablues,
The numbers are the same, yes.

dannyboy,
Thanks for your input...it's good to know you guys are "rooting" for us!

T-minus 6 days until the job selection begins in 02...

ncrtscisme

broke.in.tsg said:
I don't sugar coat anything. They keep asking why they need to call help desk to get anything fixed even though I right there. Here's my spill....they are laying people off left and right. And BTW...enjoy the helpdesk while it lasts, because it will be outsourced by some goofballs that haven't set foot in UPS building before. Then when they can't fix it we will be stretched so thin you won't see us till the next day to fix it. Kinda like the entire city replacing the 911 call center with retards then cutting the police & fire department by 35%. What do you think will happen? Peak'06 is going to fun!

Yes, I will definitely be keeping in touch with those who stay...can't wait to hear about peak! :w00t:

UPS_Techie

Informed
ncrtscisme said:
dablues,
The numbers are the same, yes.

dannyboy,
Thanks for your input...it's good to know you guys are "rooting" for us!

T-minus 6 days until the job selection begins in 02...

Good luck NCRtscisme! Hang in there, doesn't sound like you'll have trouble finding a job if you don't make the line.

:ohmy: When our Region is rehiring at a rapid pace when they realize their mistake, I'll look for you on here.

Please keep the info rolling in if you can.
No mention of my nostradamus tag huh? I thought it worked well for ya..

You've been very helpful to those of us that are still waiting for the "complete" number of cuts and dates.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous Coward

In our district they told us that PMT was going to be used to help justify our jobs. Now the are going to cut out 23 TSC and at least 4 TSG positions.

THANK YOU BUTTHEAD!!!

A

Anonymously

Anonymous Coward said:
I'm not in the technical department but have several friends in it. Last I heard the number was around 300+ across the US by Feb'28th, they will not be offered other positions in the company even though there are other non-union positions open. They will be forced to take the compensation package of 2 weeks pay plus a week of pay for each year of service. We all know the entire company runs on technology, which in 6 months will be hell in a handbasket, as they've angered the entire technology workforce, plus the reduction in support. Soon you'll probably start seeing your building going on paper due to no DIAD's, no PAS system for 2-3 hours, timecards not being sent up on time, etc. They are running with a skeleton crew already trying to keep all the technology going, now techs will be 2-3 hours away to fix problems that need to fixed in less than an hour, be prepared for lots of problems as the technology is neglected.

300+ disgruntled employees with admin rights to the companies entire technical assets. Not a good thing to do.

Two things:
1) Remember this when your bashing your local tech during a survey!
2) Just because they're disgruntled don't think they'd do something because they have admin rights. This statement comes from someone who'd think it or there in security! :^)

KIM - They work as hard as management, have as much stress and sometimes even put in the time like management! There compensation is hourly but they're always at the butt end of every finger pointing problem that exsists in UPS! Keep that in mind the next time you see one of these guys.

A

Anonymous C

[/QUOTE]

Really? You are comparing abusing an animal to a job where you make 27 bucks an hour probably get six or more weeks of time paid off each year? Excellent benefits , excellent retirement? Trick k buddy I don't know any other way to tell you this but you are screwed up mentally. Go out and do some charity work. You are part of the privileged few that has a job as good as yours. To somehow try to compare this job to abusing an animal shows me you have some type of predisposition for hating the company. Your company didn't abuse you they put you up in a penthouse and fed you steak your whole life. [/QUOTE]

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START THROWING OUT #'s Jack!

Crystal

broke.in.tsg said:

broke.in.tsg, Thank you for sticking up for the desk! I know that at least in my region sometimes it doesnt feel like TSG and TSC are on the same team. I really do feel for the people that are staying and the end users... If you hated the desk before just wait to see what the future holds. So much work that can be fixed over the phone will be dispatched and that consolidated group of TSG is going to have there hands full. office
<O:p
I wish everyone the best of luck with finding a new job or if you are lucky enough to stay. <O:p

D

disgruntledTSG

mlyourich said:
09/32 TSG will be having a mandatory conference call tomorrow at 11am. Hmmm... what will they tell us this time????? :confused:1
M, be careful posting with your name on here. You never know who is reading this.

mlyourich said:
09/32 TSG will be having a mandatory conference call tomorrow at 11am. Hmmm... what will they tell us this time????? :confused:1
Aw crap... Please let us know what they say/do as soon as you can. We're information starved!! TIA!!!

ncrtscisme

Has anybody who got the seperation package read through it carefully, or had a lawyer check it out? I'm not too savvy with the legal jargon, and I have heard some questions raised by a few people as to whether we will still be able to collect our pension once we retire...here's a few parts of it:

"Except as specifically noted above, all entitlement to Company benefits shall terminate on my termination date and benefit payments hereunder will not be included in my compensation for purposes of calculating the benefits to which I am entitled under any employee benefit program."

"The Claims I am releasing include, without limitation...the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, which, among other things, protects employee benefits..."