UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

J

Just a number

Well I have never posted here before but here it goes. I dont know about how every one elses Original meeting went, but they told us they were going to try to place us in other posistions within our district. The problem is they came back today and changed their minds and said all of the positions had been filled. But if you ask me that is very easy to do conidering that would have created some high paid part time people. So what their real conclusion is that everyone was making to much to keep them. UPS's new slogan "What can brown do to you".

ncrtscisme

So what their real conclusion is that everyone was making to much to keep them.

...the ironic thing about that is the people deciding we make too much money are the same people who get bonuses bigger than our yearly salaries. They need to start cutting out the fat, not killing the brain.

dablues

Our district lost 33% of the workers. I wonder when they'll announce a reduction in 33% of supervisors. Oh that's right supervisors can't form a union, don't get overtime and answer the phone in the middle of the night.

I can't believe the news out of Orlando. I thought if they moved you 50+ miles they had to help with the cost.

I watched Mike Eskew's 2006 spiel today where he said how important people are. LOL!!

Confused Brown

That's the sad thing about this (UPS laying off Technical hourly employees)no one really knows what is going on. I really think they are going to try and out source TSG altogeter in the end. I'm from the 1# TSG in the country according to that great BSC we all worship. TSG in our district have been under staffed that is why we are not being affected by layoffs. But I know what BrownDeath is going through.

BrownDeath said:
We had 5 TSC techs left at the beginning of February when they announced the closing date of the 28th. The two with the most seniority took TSG positions in Orlando and Cocoa/Melbourne ("only" 40 miles away with no travel reimbursement). The only two other TSG slots were in Lakeland (50 miles away), and Pinellas (90 miles away). None of us that were left were willing to take travel that far, so they said we were not going to get any seperation allowance since we "chose" to refuse the positions offered. Problem is the choice they gave us was no choice at all.

So now they have us 3 doing **** jobs like cleaning dirty equipment and facilities. No one is saying anything to us. It's like we don't exist. I get all my information from you guys. It's really sad.

Sounds like our district... no one is talking, phones are quiet, email box is very empty, log queues are getting filled with stupid logs from the TSC(I don't blame them for passing these along), and conference calls are constantly being cancelled.

Guys and gals, don't believe them when they say you will have other positions, if you are impacted like me just go start looking now! They are only telling you that you can have other jobs or be promoted just to pacify you(aka...do a half ass job) until they kick you to the curb.

ncrtscisme

I posted a few guesses earlier about how many jobs were in the list to pick from at region02 TSC (along with TSG in districts 46, 47 and CACH)...there was 13 part time (5 with daytime hours), and 24 full time (8 with daytime hours)...that's 37 jobs and 72 people in the list of names, so it looks like 35 people will be gone. So far, we are told that severance will be for anyone who leaves...unless they agree to leave without taking the severance, which at least 1 person has done so far. There are still around 25-30 people left to pick and as far as we know the picking has been delayed all this week for some reason.

and speaking of the new UPS video, did you catch the quick shot of the TSG tech working on a laptop?

DS

Fenderbender
someone earlier on this thread mentioned that there is no media coverage at all about ups laying off tech people.I did find this site...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15322834
Is this true? I dont believe it only because there has been over 23,000 people that clicked on that specific brown cafe` thread regarding the technical layoffs ,and almost 500 posts...
How many ups people will actually be laid off?

B

Brown no mo'

Just an interesting fact in our district..............2 techs had to toss a coin to decide who was staying or going.....now........that is class, folks.. and anyone think UPS cares about its people anymore?

beentheredonethat

Here's my spin, as I'm new to posting, but not new to the boards. As far as the links to some of the jobs being opened up in Vegas (around page 39), if you look at the description, these are clearly phone support for Customer Service, the people needed to enter and know "Cares" which is a BD application to support customers with bills, shipping etc, not for their or our technology. For people who supposedly works the tsc help desk or are local TSG and don't recognize that the job description wasn't their job, probably shouldn't be working for us in their current capacity. I also realize that we are having a TSC help desk being put in place in Vegas to handle the entire country computer support, and I'm hoping that the uncertainty of peoples jobs and all the hyperbole about an outsourced TSC had people not really reading the ad, and that caused the confusion. As far as layoffs, I'm not crazy about the idea. I think we owe it to loyal UPS'ers to keep them in the company and find a job for them. A freeze in hiring should have been put in place a year or more ago and slowly we should have reduced staffing. Is 400 jobs too much or too little to reduce, I don't know, but it seems too much in a one year span. As far as being a caller to the help desk. I'm sure I'm like everyone else. I've t/w some people on the desk who were great, and helped out. I t/w a lot of other "techs" that didn't know the first thing (in my opinion) about the applications, the hardware or UPS. ( I also realize that if we outsource TSC it probably will get worse) Since the web pages have been made available to create a self generated service order to the local tech to come and fix a problem, I haven't bothered calling the help desk and I'm glad. In the district I'm from I've seen techs sitting around with not a lot of tasks to work on, based on hearing them in their cubicles talk endlessly about Bill Gates, Microsoft, Computer Games and other geek stuff. Yet, I had to call the desk. When I called the desk, I have a tech who ties me up for over 1/2 hr trying to fix my problem. (Now keep in mind, It's not just the 1/2 hour he spends, it's 1/2 hr of my time he's tying up also). After he is unable to resolve the problem he opens a log for the local tech who stops talking about Bill Gates for 5 minutes and fixes the problem (by himself). I think the help desks have a place and they are for support to the local techs when they can't resolve a problem, or for very simple problems, or for when local TSG isn't on duty. I realize that techs are told to not help the local user unless they have a log and I'm fine with the rules, but it's annoying spending 1/2 hr on the line with someone who doesn't have a clue meanwhile, I can't do my job during that time and a local tech isn't doing anything useful (from what I overhear). Thats why I'm glad for the web site to enter logs. Anyways that's my 2cents.

TTG_lackie

Well A couple of people were talking and I overheard the official news! The news is "There will be no statement on anything techs may have heard about other tsg locations." I guess Our upper mgmt team doesnt want to worry us about little things like fellow TSG people being layed off or their jobs outsourced! I wonder if they are saying "It doesnt affect us (region22) so dont tell our techs. We need them guys to help with all the expansion at Worldport and CSI (menlo project).We dont want to get them upset. After we're done expanding, we will look into cutbacks too."

Hey Tieguy, can you explaine why upper mgmt would feel the need to keep this from us? I think this is pretty major and we should have the official word. Are we not to be "informed of news and information in a timely manor" .?

ERI, Ones are good right?

tieguy

Banned
brown_blood said:
Looks like she ran tie off, but she may be keeping everyone else away now as well!

Hardly. Look I'm sure this type of action results in a lot of rumors flying around as the corporate machine slowly moves forward. I originally tried to keep everyone focused on what was actually happening and not what the rumors said was happening. Reading throught the posts here that type of conversation is taking place. I too had some questions that I asked and got shot for . Thats ok. I understand where everyone is coming from. But in either case the conversation here appears to be focused more on actual facts and less on rumors and I don't see any reason to jump in. As I said before I bear no one here any ill will and hope the best for everyone.

dablues

beentheredonethat
1. There are two different jobs on those web sites. And It sure looks like the second one is a tech position. Kinda like the one I got my job with.

2. This downsizing didn't just hit TSC it also hit the local TSG. So the local tech is now "doing nothing useful" somewhere else. You thought a half hour was a wait? Let me know how things are in a few moths.

3. One of the reasons I feel TSG is losing jobs is we didn't show enough logs to justify our positions. That may be because we did work without logs. As far as telling you to open a log. We're hourly and were directed/instructed by management to have you open a log. Techs basically agreed this was a waste of time and now some are collecting thier last checks. Sorry you were inconvienced

A

Anonymous Cows

beentheredonethat said:
Here's my spin, as I'm new to posting, but not new to the boards. As far as the links to some of the jobs being opened up in Vegas (around page 39), if you look at the description, these are clearly phone support for Customer Service, the people needed to enter and know "Cares" which is a BD application to support customers with bills, shipping etc, not for their or our technology. For people who supposedly works the tsc help desk or are local TSG and don't recognize that the job description wasn't their job, probably shouldn't be working for us in their current capacity. I also realize that we are having a TSC help desk being put in place in Vegas to handle the entire country computer support, and I'm hoping that the uncertainty of peoples jobs and all the hyperbole about an outsourced TSC had people not really reading the ad, and that caused the confusion. As far as layoffs, I'm not crazy about the idea. I think we owe it to loyal UPS'ers to keep them in the company and find a job for them. A freeze in hiring should have been put in place a year or more ago and slowly we should have reduced staffing. Is 400 jobs too much or too little to reduce, I don't know, but it seems too much in a one year span. As far as being a caller to the help desk. I'm sure I'm like everyone else. I've t/w some people on the desk who were great, and helped out. I t/w a lot of other "techs" that didn't know the first thing (in my opinion) about the applications, the hardware or UPS. ( I also realize that if we outsource TSC it probably will get worse) Since the web pages have been made available to create a self generated service order to the local tech to come and fix a problem, I haven't bothered calling the help desk and I'm glad. In the district I'm from I've seen techs sitting around with not a lot of tasks to work on, based on hearing them in their cubicles talk endlessly about Bill Gates, Microsoft, Computer Games and other geek stuff. Yet, I had to call the desk. When I called the desk, I have a tech who ties me up for over 1/2 hr trying to fix my problem. (Now keep in mind, It's not just the 1/2 hour he spends, it's 1/2 hr of my time he's tying up also). After he is unable to resolve the problem he opens a log for the local tech who stops talking about Bill Gates for 5 minutes and fixes the problem (by himself). I think the help desks have a place and they are for support to the local techs when they can't resolve a problem, or for very simple problems, or for when local TSG isn't on duty. I realize that techs are told to not help the local user unless they have a log and I'm fine with the rules, but it's annoying spending 1/2 hr on the line with someone who doesn't have a clue meanwhile, I can't do my job during that time and a local tech isn't doing anything useful (from what I overhear). Thats why I'm glad for the web site to enter logs. Anyways that's my 2cents.

This guy has got all the answers,...

I am glad you do open service orders. I'm just now getting around to following the rules myself;

I saw my doctor at the grocery the other day and apparently offended him by asking him to cup me while I coughed.

I ran into the guy from Fry's and stopped him in the middle of the street and asked which is better, XBOX360 or wait for the PS3, he ignored me. I complained to the 800 number.

I saw my mailman eating dinner with his wife and kids at Long John's and I guess I peaved him by asking him to take a couple of letters I had in my bookbag -- he refused. What an :censored2:, he wasn't doing anything, just talking and eating fish.

Techs are paid to fix technology problems. Management makes the rules of engagement. Technology problems, Sir. We are not there to move boxes, or run late air, or be an object to which you can vent your frustration over not being strong enough to stand up to your division manager. You guys get treated really ugly. I feel for you -- honestly. Then again, you can always quit. Hell, wait around long enough, and like us, maybe you'll be let go.

If we didn't enforce the call-up or sign-up service order rules, we couldn't get anything done. UPSers treat technicians like man-servants. Long live the service order.

beentheredonethat

dablues said:
beentheredonethat
1. There are two different jobs on those web sites. And It sure looks like the second one is a tech position. Kinda like the one I got my job with.

2. This downsizing didn't just hit TSC it also hit the local TSG. So the local tech is now "doing nothing useful" somewhere else. You thought a half hour was a wait? Let me know how things are in a few moths.

3. One of the reasons I feel TSG is losing jobs is we didn't show enough logs to justify our positions. That may be because we did work without logs. As far as telling you to open a log. We're hourly and were directed/instructed by management to have you open a log. Techs basically agreed this was a waste of time and now some are collecting thier last checks. Sorry you were inconvienced

DaBlues -
1. Your right about the first point. I looked at the first link and saw it was for a Customer Service type of job and didn't look at the second link which was for a TSC job. My bad for not looking at both links.

2. I realize the downsizing has hit local TSG as well, but keep in mind, it's obviously hit the TSG harder where TSC's are located also it's hitting areas that were "fat" with techs more then areas that had the right amount. Is the number needed based on prior logs open - yes. And I have opened logs for years to follow the rules. I just listed I liked opening logs via the web to bypass TSC since it was often a waste of time.

3. My main point about jobs was that I've seen techs in their cubes not working on UPS activities and talking to another tech about Bill Gates. If they did have work to do (weather it was on a valid service order or not) meant they wouldn't be doing this.

There are a lot of great techs in my district but there are a few who aren't. Those are the ones that hurt the overall department. If the TSG department is overstaffed then shame on local mgmt for letting that happen. Like I said I'm not crazy about layoffs.

beentheredonethat said:
In the district I'm from I've seen techs sitting around with not a lot of tasks to work on, based on hearing them in their cubicles talk endlessly about Bill Gates, Microsoft, Computer Games and other geek stuff. Yet, I had to call the desk. When I called the desk, I have a tech who ties me up for over 1/2 hr trying to fix my problem. (Now keep in mind, It's not just the 1/2 hour he spends, it's 1/2 hr of my time he's tying up also). After he is unable to resolve the problem he opens a log for the local tech who stops talking about Bill Gates for 5 minutes and fixes the problem (by himself). I think the help desks have a place and they are for support to the local techs when they can't resolve a problem, or for very simple problems, or for when local TSG isn't on duty. I realize that techs are told to not help the local user unless they have a log and I'm fine with the rules, but it's annoying spending 1/2 hr on the line with someone who doesn't have a clue meanwhile, I can't do my job during that time and a local tech isn't doing anything useful (from what I overhear). Thats why I'm glad for the web site to enter logs. Anyways that's my 2cents.

If the techs are not doing anything, then they have done their jobs correctly. When they are busy, it means there is a problem and all is not well. The techs job is not only to service problems but to prevent them from occurring. As for me, I rarely leave my desk. But I put in 60 hours a week to make sure no one receives any problems. (i don't get overtime).
I also maintain the companies servers/phone systems/printers/cell phones.
I also fix desktops remotely. Hardware issues get caught and replaced before endusers discover them.

Also, if I ever do have to leave my desk, it's usually to relocate their mouse or move their machine to the other side of the desk. All application errors are fixed remotely.

We are also in the middle of a downsizing. Our entire IT division is being outsourced. My last day is in the end of March. We have offices in Vegas and HQ in Montreal. I'm in Orlando. There are no numbers yet on how many IT workers will be let go. There are still some techs developing applications and are expected to be let go when their projects are completed. Only a few are being absorbed by the outsourcing company.

Also, forget about the logs... TSG job logs are not the same as TSC job logs (call centers are very critical with time management).

Be happy that your techs are not busy. That means everything is working properly and the company is making money. What would you do if you called in a trouble ticket and the closest tech can't even speak english?
been there, done that too...

-a|ex

ImpactedTSG

beentheredonethat said:
If the TSG department is overstaffed then shame on local mgmt for letting that happen. Like I said I'm not crazy about layoffs.
Not shame on the local management. Shame on Corporate TSG. They are the ones that slowly started taking away our rights and ability to do our jobs.

We used to:
Have more external customers before CTP (we used to give customers a shipping system, now we just give them money to buy their own so they have to do their own support)

Have the ability to create new user accounts in NT. Once AD came about that right was taken away.

Have to ability to reset passwords. That was taken away.

ICS used to give us the "fix" for an issue so we could take care of it ourselves the next time. Now they won't give us any info.

Used to be able to change phone information when a user changed numbers. Now that goes through the TSC.

Used to have to do service pack upgrades, now it's all done remotely.

I could go on, but you should get the picture by now.

Our departments were staffed right for the work we USED to be allowed to do.

ImpactedTSG

IT_Consultant said:
Also, forget about the logs... TSG job logs are not the same as TSC job logs (call centers are very critical with time management).
Do you work at UPS? NO! You have no clue about the BSC or how TSG numbers are looked at. TSG is very critical with time management too.

ImpactedTSG said:
Do you work at UPS? NO! You have no clue about the BSC or how TSG numbers are looked at. TSG is very critical with time management too.

i don't need to know it's full details.. i know what it's used for and what the board of directors look at. When i was a consultant, my job was to standardize and reduce/illiminate IT staff. If the logs look good at defending their (BOD) decision, then it's used. If not, then it disappears.

TSG, do you have a time limit on how long to take a bathroom break?

I can predict what will happen to your IT department, if it follows the current model. I might even be called in to organise an outsourcing plan.

Please don't think i'm attacking TSG, I was tier one and worked my way to tier three. I did both call centers and infrastructure support before i became involved in outsourcing. I know what you are all going through. The application names are different, but they do the same thing.

This is a :censored2:ty field to be in.

-a|ex

i'll be quiet now and let you all vent...