UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

RetiredandLovingIT

DAHONE, you are right on target. Working for UPS is not a God-given right! It is a privilege to be employed. It is up to one's "Personal Constitution" as to how they choose to perform and what attitude they bring to work day in and day out. Granted, no company is perfect, but UPS has a very long and storied history with job stability and employee longevity in varied positions throughout the organization, union and non-union alike.

Everyone must always keep in mind that UPS is not here for us, we are here for UPS. That is always the mandate for any corporation today. Potential layoffs which may be occurring in other areas of the country will be the result of efforts of the company to consolidate and reduce costs to remain competitive. That is smart business. Those efforts will continue year in and year out. This is why we have jobs today. Can you imagine working for DHL? FedEX? Nah, I didn't think so...

TSCer

This board has contracted a virus. Its called the brown blood virus and it is evil. dAhone and currentupser are obviously in mgt and are trying to, as ups mgt does, scare you, misinform you and yes of course threaten you. What being in a union does is give you a contract. A contract that states amongst other things, a set of rules to go by. That way the company cant jack up your insurance rates every year, you know what you are getting for a raise, and when mgt is HARASSING you, you have someone to go to. It will also give a fair way to be promoted. Just because you know the region manager wont be a good enough reason to get you promoted after less than two years of service. Just because you gave the supervisor a BL** JOB wont be enough to get to the region office either. And when the company wants to lay people off, they will have to prove that the work is not there. Prove it with real numbers, not the made up numbers of the BSC and PMT. Face it, ups is full of liars, cheaters and downright evil people. All of the mgt I have EVER had are completly useless. Dumba** doesn't even begin to describe the ineptitude of these people. They are the bottom of the barrel, and if UPS was commited to a strong workforce, all of these people would be FIRED. Talk about a cost savings! If you are staying do yourself a favor and help unionize our workforce. Technicians and Administrators should not be the whipping boy of ups. We deserve to be treated like human beings. And not the kind that live in Saudi Arabia either. This is America.You have rights UNDER THE LAW. Exercise them, protect yourself, standup for yourself and for gods sake DAHONE and CURRENTUPSER if you aren't in mgt, WAKE the friend* UP! It is not a privelige to work for this place. It is a job just like any other and probably worse. It is not the only place to work and it is certainly not the best. Did you know that it someplaces, the company actually appreciates a tech that know what he/she is doing? When its time for a raise you actually get one that covers the cost of living? When their is training that is needed you actually get it? Oh yes, ups sucks big time. The mgt is horrid from the top down. They make money despite themselves. I hope there are lots of customers/investors reading this board and that ups takes a big nose dive soon. I hope all you sorry a** mgrs lose your a** in that worthless stock too. But what I mostly hope is that I never have to work with backstabbing pricks like dahone and currentupser. I really hope you are not in my new district. You are the pi*s beneath my :censored2:. You two are part of the problem here, not the solution. If you could take the time to pry your lips off of your mgrs as* you might be able to see that I am right. I am a upser, and ashamed to say it. And it will be a cold day in hel* when "personal acheivement" gets you anywhere in this :censored2: hole. Keep sucking di*k currentupser and dahone and you too will be a worthless clone one day.

wily_old_vet

Maybe the virus is you. Yes the way the layoff situation is being handled, if true, is poor at best but fortunately the company has not had as much practice as other companies in the practice. From some of the posts I've read here it is good riddance of the people who wrote them just as it would be good riddance of some of the posters in other threads. I've never been in the situation you are in and I am sympathethetic but you need to see the whole picture. How often do you see companies laying off tens of thousands of people? That isn't the case here. The news people wouldn't even run a story about this because of the miniscule number of people affected. Could this come back to bite UPS in the ass? Sure it could but only time will tell.

I

Im_With_Idiot v 2.0

CurrentUPSer said:
Everyone must always keep in mind that UPS is not here for us, we are here for UPS. That is always the mandate for any corporation today. Potential layoffs which may be occurring in other areas of the country will be the result of efforts of the company to consolidate and reduce costs to remain competitive. That is smart business. Those efforts will continue year in and year out. This is why we have jobs today. Can you imagine working for DHL? FedEX? Nah, I didn't think so...

What I don't understand is, when the company is trying to save money, they always start from the bottom... When the money is saved, that money is then lost through bonus rewards to senior management.

There was a recent corporate bankruptcy where hundreds of hourly workers were laid off and the board of directors filed with the court to award themselves several millions for saving the company. I'm confused.

Unions are to prevent corporations from taking advantage of desparate workers. I agree that Unions cannot save your jobs from layoffs. If the rest of the world unionized, manufacturing would stay in the U.S. and IT will stay insourced instead of outsourced. Products and services will increase, but so will hourly pay.

wily_old_vet said:
Maybe the virus is you. Yes the way the layoff situation is being handled, if true, is poor at best but fortunately the company has not had as much practice as other companies in the practice. From some of the posts I've read here it is good riddance of the people who wrote them just as it would be good riddance of some of the posters in other threads. I've never been in the situation you are in and I am sympathethetic but you need to see the whole picture. How often do you see companies laying off tens of thousands of people? That isn't the case here. The news people wouldn't even run a story about this because of the miniscule number of people affected. Could this come back to bite UPS in the ass? Sure it could but only time will tell.

If you were one in the chopping block, what would you do? Roll over and take it with a smile? I think not... The media has bigger news to cover. That's why this isn't reported.

It's only natural to voice out your opinion when your job has been illiminated.

-a|ex

btw, what was that corporation that filed bankruptcy, laying off a good number of hourly workers and filed with the courts to grant the Board of Director's millions of dollars for saving the company? I'm confused... laying off people to save money and spending that saved money for bonuses to the BOD?

Last edited:
CurrentUPSer said:
That is smart business. Those efforts will continue year in and year out. This is why we have jobs today. Can you imagine working for DHL? FedEX? Nah, I didn't think so...

What would be so wrong with working for one of these companies? In one post you complain how the union is not the answer. In the next post you disparage two companies who compete directly against us withoout the burden of the Teamsters. Which is it? Are we more or less competitive with the union? Is the technical/admin arena the only area left to trim the fat? or oare we the easiest. Do not fool yourselves... This whole situation seems contrary to James Casey's legacy, but then we already pi55ed all over that when we went public... my 2cents

RetiredandLovingIT

TSCer, you must be one of the most jaded individuals I believe I have had the displeasure to converse with. First of all, I am NOT in management (by choice), I am an hourly employee. I have never had relations with a Management person's groin area or backside and never really had the need to do so, as you indicate I have.

My main question for you is this: Why are you employed by UPS? It's fairly obvious by the relative tone of your language that you are a very disillusioned and disgruntled person, possibly in more ways than we know. Saying you are a "UPS Employee" or you "Work for UPS" cannot be used when describing who you are. I am truly sorry for you and your experiences. I can only pray for you and hope you can somehow lose all this negative energy you possess. It's not healthy...

You do, however, bring up some very valid points. Some management individuals within UPS do create a very large low pressure area. Conversely, the same can be said for many hourly employees, union and non-union alike. UPS is made up of many people. People are not perfect. I myself have been very frustrated at times with the myriad occurrences of what I like to call "Management Decisions That Make No Sense To Me". Also remember, these decisions were made based on the information at hand at the time of the decision. This does not necessarily make it right. I do believe that most people want to do make good, not bad, decsisions. If you desire to influence the poor decisions, please follow the MAPP process and join the team. To be honest, though, I really think you would be better off seeking something elsewhere where you may find happiness and fulfillment. UPS obviously isn't cutting it for you. I am sorry you feel the way you do.

TSCer, we as people make choices. I choose to work for what I believe is one of the greatest corporations in the world today. They let me come to work every day. I am respected in my field, I do get raises on a yearly basis that don't fully cover inflation, my health insurance out of pocket cost does increase and, yes, I complain about it. At some point in time, I may suffer the same fate as others these postings continually talk about. But I am proud to say I work for UPS. Others in the world today would love to have what I am speaking about. Be thankful you have yours. Have you been unemployed and penniless before? No place to live? What will I eat? Nah, I didn't think so. I ask that you think about that and try to comprehend what that means...

Here's the deal: THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES!!! In this age of "Record Profits", as UPS continually reports, it is difficult to see and understand what the corporation is trying to do, especially when employees are losing their jobs or being displaced. What needs to be done is for every employee make the best of every day, day in and day out, month in and month out, etc. Make yourself a valued member of the workforce. Cooperate when asked, and generally be ready to perform when called upon. Those are very good life lessons to go by in all aspects of life, not just UPS...

RetiredandLovingIT

BrownTech99 said:
What would be so wrong with working for one of these companies? In one post you complain how the union is not the answer. In the next post you disparage two companies who compete directly against us withoout the burden of the Teamsters. Which is it? Are we more or less competitive with the union? Is the technical/admin arena the only area left to trim the fat? or oare we the easiest. Do not fool yourselves... This whole situation seems contrary to James Casey's legacy, but then we already pi55ed all over that when we went public... my 2cents

What I am saying is this: Working for UPS is a good thing! Please don't mis-represent that. My statement(s) concerning FedEX and DHL are just to point a "Thumb's Down" at the competition, nothing more. I believe you're reading too much into what I'm saying...

TSCer

currentupser, dont pretend to know me. You dont know you I am, where I come from or what I have gone through in life. Perhaps you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, I wasnt. You obviously are clueless in many areas of life and choose to live with blinders on. Your choice. Yeh you must not kiss the as* of mgt because your head is so far up your own as* that it is not possible. Keep trying though and one day you can be one of the clones. As far as getting into mgt, why would I or anyone else who has any self respect want to do that? Maybe your goal in life is to be a souless, heartless pric* who doesnt dare stick their neck out or speak up for what is right. Again, your choice. ups is full of mgt that are so filled with hate, disillusion, digust and regret that all you have to do is talk to a few of them to know that this place is a :censored2: hole. Why do I work here? My reasons for staying are so I can lead the charge into a unionized technical admin workforce. Once that happens, who knows? Maybe I will stay, maybe I will go. Either way, none of your business to be sure. I ask that you try to become a human being one day, k d*ck head?

RetiredandLovingIT

TSCer said:
currentupser, dont pretend to know me. You dont know you I am, where I come from or what I have gone through in life. Perhaps you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, I wasnt. You obviously are clueless in many areas of life and choose to live with blinders on. Your choice. Yeh you must not kiss the as* of mgt because your head is so far up your own as* that it is not possible. Keep trying though and one day you can be one of the clones. As far as getting into mgt, why would I or anyone else who has any self respect want to do that? Maybe your goal in life is to be a souless, heartless pric* who doesnt dare stick their neck out or speak up for what is right. Again, your choice. ups is full of mgt that are so filled with hate, disillusion, digust and regret that all you have to do is talk to a few of them to know that this place is a :censored2: hole. Why do I work here? My reasons for staying are so I can lead the charge into a unionized technical admin workforce. Once that happens, who knows? Maybe I will stay, maybe I will go. Either way, none of your business to be sure. I ask that you try to become a human being one day, k d*ck head?

Wow, what further levels can you descend to? This is my last post in regard to you, for sure. I am amazed at all the things you stick out there about people. You are hypocritical at best. You're right, I do not know you. Thank God for that! I only became critical of your post when you became so ugly and brought on your assault against myself and another for speaking out. Mine was just against unionization, remember. It initially had nothing to do with you, only those that want to create a false air about unionization and what it can do for them. If you fall into this group, so be it. You have let your true self out of the bag anyhow. I will continue to pray for you...

Do you know what a "Plexotomy" is? I believe you may need one...Someone please give this person a definition and direction to the nearest "Plexi-Surgeon"...Sorry

CurrentUPSer said:
. Mine was just against unionization, remember. It initially had nothing to do with you, only those that want to create a false air about unionization and what it can do for them. IfDo you know what a "Plexotomy" is? I believe you may need one...Someone please give this person a definition and direction to the nearest "Plexi-Surgeon"...Sorry

Still think you should give fedex a try.... just a thought

moreluck

golden ticket member
Plexotomy........medical procedure whereby a nine inch by nine inch pane of clear plexiglass is installed in the area of someone's stomach so they may properly see while their head is up their ass

Coldworld

this company net profit in 05 was 3.87 bil. In 06 this company will net profit over 4 bil dollars. These technical jobs being cut are a drop in the profit bucket for ups, this should tell everyone what kind of company you all work for.....a greedy one. This company bullies its employees around(union and management alike), along with its customers, which is the sad part. The down fall of this company wont be the union, high healthcare, or the competion......it will be greed that puts an end to a company that started with the best of intentions, toward its employees and customers.

RetiredandLovingIT

coldworld said:
this company net profit in 05 was 3.87 bil. In 06 this company will net profit over 4 bil dollars. These technical jobs being cut are a drop in the profit bucket for ups, this should tell everyone what kind of company you all work for.....a greedy one. This company bullies its employees around(union and management alike), along with its customers, which is the sad part. The down fall of this company wont be the union, high healthcare, or the competion......it will be greed that puts an end to a company that started with the best of intentions, toward its employees and customers.

What you cite is difficult to refute, and I agree that UPS has spawned a new type of "awareness" since it became a publicly traded entity. Keep in mind that significant chunks of these record profits have been reinvested, especially to position UPS in ever-evolving China market, heavy freight, etc. Those investments should pay wide-ranging dividends in the future. Hopefully, UPS will reward those around when they come to fruition.

Coldworld

they are now involved in an anti-trust investigation overseas, although ups is not named as a company of interest, just the overall delivery business. What does this tell you. Many people, including fellow upses have no idea how diverse ups is. The supply chain side of the business along with ups capital is growing in double digits every quarter. Ups owns a banking institution, which some dont know. If any of you disagree, look at ge capital, do a google search on it. Ups is headed in that direction. did anyone see the article on ups mail solutions in europe. Dont believe the"we only make 1 cent off of every ground package crap"......please!!If ups wants to be profitable and keep their employees employed and well payed....fine, this is called taking care of the business and its employees. If ups wants to lay people off and continue to make record profits, its greed. This company has always run bare bone in regards to staff, so "cutting the fat" really doesnt apply to this company.

tieguy

Banned
wily_old_vet said:

Agreed the guy wants to talk about a brown blooded virus while they try to intimidate anyone who actually defends anything the company says or does.

Sideline Sam

Hey folks, this is Sideline Sam chiming in for the last time. Many of the people in my district figured out who I was by the ceaseless quotes that I have shared and used over the years. Those of you still guessing, Ill give you one later that will give it all away.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I have posted about 20 times using about 12 different names on this board. Sometimes I posted to flame the pomposity of an author, other times to dismiss the stupidity of another of course, always MY opinion subjective at best.
<o:p></o:p>
I took my own advice and resigned from UPS under the Voluntary SAP. Yeah, I volunteered. About the first time I have volunteered for anything at UPS in a long time.
I hope this small downsizing has given pause to each of you to reflect on your personal situations (your life, happiness, debt, desires). I say small and will probably get a frowned-lip scrunched-nose Hmmm from many of you. I know it is not small to those impacted. However, in the end, the company does appear to be attempting good for many. I know there are posts of dubious efforts by the company. I bet some of those are spot-on true. That really sucks. I am sorry to hear this. Otherwise, this is just the nature of things. Hell, we had a great ride for about 15 years in TSG. In the beginning, the supervisors and managers, of today, did the work. They werent considered Techs; they did it as management. Then, it was a part of Accounting, known as Information Services. I came just after it was assigned to IE, renamed as TSG. It really was a good job. Raises came quick and were big (sometimes gigantic). Technicians had free roam of our buildings and ran the roads visiting our customers without much concern. Man, those were the days no PMT, no sales leads, not even the Activity System just a timesheet turned in weekly or monthly. The only thing that sucked was the suits the ones we had to wear. It was a sweet ride back then.
This is where it all went wrong for me. The job was never that exciting. Even back then, I saw that I was never going to be able to use all the technical ability that I was developing, or desired to know. I did learn things back then, I cannot deny that. However, somewhere between a year and, maybe, three years in the job, I started to stagnate. I was lucky enough to make Tech II in my first year. I never had anything to strive for after this.
During this time, I came up with my signature quote; Are you a Technology Professional who happens to work for TSG at UPS, or, are you a UPSers who happens to work in TSG. I probably changed the words a few times, but this is the gist of the original rhetoric. I answered it the first time the same way I answered it every time thereafter. I never changed my mind. In case your still wondering,.. I always considered myself a Technology Professional.
In light of my boredom, lack of challenge, and confessions that I like Technology more than Transportation, I did nothing about it. Several years later, maybe five, I began getting certifications (about 4), and interviewed for jobs. I got a couple of offers. For whatever reason, I lost sight of my career goals and started considering creature-comforts. I came to the conclusion that UPS, contrary to our griping, did offer better benefits (medical, dental, vision, legal, vacation, PHs, etc.) than anywhere I looked (although, I did see that state government was about equal). Anyway, for some reason, I traded my ambition for a day off when I wanted for all those really good benefits.
Now it is ten years later. Im sick that it took me a decade of my prime working years to see what the younger, immature ME knew all along. I grieve for my friends pushed out of UPS, I also grieve for my lost years.
Dont ever mistake that UPS is a good job you name the job UPS has a lot to offer. However, I think most positions at UPS are just jobs. If you have ambitions, management is the only option. If management is not an option for you, then join the club I presided over for so many years. Come on in, membership is guaranteed so is the loss of your dreams and aspirations. If you can tolerate your job, and you can clearly see doing this for 10 or 20 years, then you are good-to-go. God bless you, I tried.
Anyway, I read over my posts and considered my rhetorical quotes and realized that if the company was willing provide me a face-saving opportunity to leave on good terms, along with a good bit of money, then it might be the last chance I had to salvage my dignity.
As I said to another poster, I know that I have had velvet handcuffs holding me in detention for a long time incarcerated for violating the will of my dreams. I am guilty of complacency. I am guilty of addiction to a comfortable job I became numb and binged on its ease. This downsizing was my Intervention. Im embarrassed, but I am grateful.
Maybe all this is just blather to most of you. I might get flamed for the waste of your time. You know what, I can live with this because there might be one or two people who might take solace in all this.
I hope that I will be allowed to finish a two-week notice with UPS and leave on really good terms with my management team, my peers, and UPS. You see, it was never UPS fault. I just had different dreams. I lost my way.
In the coming weeks and months, I hope that this board and UPS become a fading memory for me. I need to move on. I plan to stay in touch with my friends I leave behind. Hopefully, we will have common ground that does not include talking about UPS.
Good luck to you all. I hope your dreams include UPS. If not, read this again.
Sam "no longer on the sidelines -- finally, back in play"