UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

Very Poignant!!! I know many people who feel just like you. There are probably two kinds of techs at UPS. Those like you and those who take solace in the ease of the work, job stability (once upon a time)fell into the UPS rut, whatever. I understand every word you just wrote. Good luck !!

DAHONE said:
That is funny. BrownDeath or whatever had many chances to take a job this year in TSG in and around Orlando but he decided against it. Another winning decision like many of his. As a fellow TSG tech I feel these folks could get jobs today if they want to. They are used to working in offices and staying clean. He can take one today that is 30 miles away from his home as he said but he would not becuase that is too long to drive. Cry Baby.

The above post sums up precisely why I'm glad to be leaving the company. The lack of respect is obvious from the ad hominem argument. The poster is obviously someone in my discrict who thinks they know what my life is about. You see, it's all about control. They want to control all your choices without giving you any say in them.

The example Dahone brought up was when a discrict TSG position opened up and was offered to TSC techs. The catch was that they refused to tell you where the position was. Not only that but once you blindly accepted the position, there was no going back, even if it was to a location beyond your tolerable commute. Never in my working career have I been expected to accept a position without first being told where it was. Only at UPS does this make sense.

Dahone, if you really are a TSG tech then you know from speaking with the people you work with that they are not happy with how things have been lately. Also, I haven't made any close friendships with anyone at work, so I'd like to know how you've come to judge my life decisions. Maybe you're a workaholic and judge success by how much you sacrifice for you job. I have different standards by which I live.

I saw a cap in where I could go with this company since I was not willing to sacrifice my happiness in order to go into management. There were also no software development positions available in the district, so TSG would be a dead end job.

Have a great life!

DAHONE said:
Yes. We did and they told us it is not a story. They said it is a Joke and at the end of the day Maybe 120 people Nationwide would get a SAP, so that is not newsworthy. By the way, we feel sorry for you becuase you will find out that UPS is one of the best companies. Every company does this almost yearly. Good Luck but you will find out after your UPS life.

Oh my word, you are such a fanboy! You bleed brown don't ya? Since you're so hot on your trivia, did you know that UPS did not make the Fortune 500 "Best Companies to Work For" list this year?

And you can keep your sympathy. I'll be just fine after I put this mess behind me.

beentheredonethat

coldworld said:
this company net profit in 05 was 3.87 bil. In 06 this company will net profit over 4 bil dollars. These technical jobs being cut are a drop in the profit bucket for ups, this should tell everyone what kind of company you all work for.....a greedy one. This company bullies its employees around(union and management alike), along with its customers, which is the sad part. The down fall of this company wont be the union, high healthcare, or the competion......it will be greed that puts an end to a company that started with the best of intentions, toward its employees and customers.

I don't quite understand, if the company makes 4 billion dollars does that mean we shouldn't bother trying to save money wherever possible? Should the company settle for profits of 3.5 billion? What about 3 billion? How about 1 billion? Surely that should be enough. Companies are in business to make money period. Companies that don't grow and produce more profit eventually fail and go out of business. A lot of people seem to think companies are evil for making money. And if they make money then surely the company should give all or virtually all to the employees. Delta, United US Air, etc made lots of money and had huge payrolls to their pilots, stewards, baggage handlers and to their mgmt team. Now they are all going bankrupt. Delphi (a former unit of GM) went bankrupt because their average pay for their employees (including H&W, Pension, taxes, and straight pay works out to $65 hr. Does that mean they are a good company to their employees? I guess they used to be, but now they are shrinking their workforce big time since they are now losing billions each year. Who would you rather work for, a company that makes billions or a company that loses billions?

Rainman1

beentheredonethat said:
I don't quite understand, if the company makes 4 billion dollars does that mean we shouldn't bother trying to save money wherever possible? Should the company settle for profits of 3.5 billion? What about 3 billion? How about 1 billion?

I do not believe a company should give millions in bonuses to management while laying people off. If the company wants to save money, why not come up with a better system for keeping track of ODS messages than printing each one that comes in. Maybe we could also stop printing thousands of pages of reports each day for conference calls and read the information from the monitor.

Parrothead

Before I make these comments, I'd like to offer a tad of info about myself to assure posters/lurkers I am not speaking with the hypocrisy of the unaffected. I work for a TSC that is slated to be one of the last to close. I have little doubt that staying is not an option for me given my seniority (or lack thereof). Most everyone at my TSC knows who I am including management & I have no problem with that as I'm not posting anything I wouldn't say directly to them. Here are some of my opinions:

Is UPS good to work for? Yes, or I wouldn't still be here.

Do I agree with this decision? No.

Do I think upper management cares if I agree? Again...no.

Do I think our collective opinions would change this decision? Once again...No.

Do I think this board can be used for something more constructive than just venting? YES!

This board is an excellent tool to pass information from one tech to another concerning our collective fates faster that the trickle-rate that it's officially pushed down. This information can be used to help us make informed decisions to best take care of ourselves and our families financially. If anyone is currently looking, I have a Yahoo group with alot of links for job searches. Anyone interested is welcome to join. Go to http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nashville_JobSearch/ . Don't let the name fool you, there are alot of national search engines listed. I hope this link can assist at least some of us. Thanks for letting me hop onto my soapbox.

beentheredonethat

Rainman1 said:
I do not believe a company should give millions in bonuses to management while laying people off. If the company wants to save money, why not come up with a better system for keeping track of ODS messages than printing each one that comes in. Maybe we could also stop printing thousands of pages of reports each day for conference calls and read the information from the monitor.

So the company is only allowed to save money in areas you think they should save money in. (I do admit, that saving money on paper and in reporting in general does need to be done also, (but not instead of)). As far as bonuses to mgmt. Although Mike Eskew and the executive committee does make a lot of money. If you compare his pay to that of virtually any other CEO of a company our size, his pay is very conservative in comparison. Yet at the same time, if you compare our company to other transportation company our pay to our drivers is one of the highest.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OK, I''ve got my helmet on ,so go easy.....

Just my opinion.....you can take away all the mgmt. bonuses, you can take away 1/2 billion or 1 or 2 billion in profit and I still think the layoffs would occur.

It's smart business, it helps with future profits (theoretically) and investors give it the thumbs up.

It's part of any company's game plan. JMHO.

ImpactedTSG

moreluck said:
It's smart business, it helps with future profits (theoretically) and investors give it the thumbs up.
That about sums it up. Investors are more important than our people and their families. Bottom line.

That is the Jim Casey way isn't it?

ncrtscisme

I guess I just don't get it sometimes...I understand the need for businesses to grow and make more money and to please their shareholders, but at what point does it stop? I mean, once all the jobs that aren't absolutely needed are cut, and all expenses are driven down to a minimum, what then? When the company cannot squeeze any more pennies, will it then be considered a failure and therefore go out of business? Is 4 billion dollars per year enough profit? How about 5 billion? 10? 50? 100??? I sure wish I had started my job at UPS sooner so that I could have enjoyed the days when the people working for this company actually mattered and took pride in that fact.

Regon02 TSC's last day will be April 28th. They told us it wouldn't close until sometime in May, and it looks like they didn't waste any time at all. And with the way management is treating many of us, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is actually beginning to look FORWARD to leaving the company.

dablues

Moreluck,

Just a question.

Wouldn't stopping management bonuses save more money than letting about 380 hourly tech go? And wouldn't that make the shareholders happy....wait management is the primary shareholder. Never mind I answered my own question.

F

FEGuy

Wouldn't stopping management bonuses save more money than letting about 380 hourly tech go? And wouldn't that make the shareholders happy....wait management is the primary shareholder. Never mind I answered my own question--

Nope, it wouldn't. It's hard for most here to understand, but, just like capital expenditures (Airplanes, trucks, etc) management bonuses come out of profits earned. They do not, DO NOT, reduce profits in anyway.
Cutting hourly or salaried positions, both EXPENSES, increase profit.

The lower the expenses, the higher the profit (all things being equal). Management bonuses....no effect on profits. That is all figured AFTER the profit is earned. It's what UPS DOES with its' profits. Majority of it is reinvested right back into the business.

W

WHOCARES

YOU NEED HELP. MENTAL HELP. DID YOU GET YOUR A+ YET OR YOU STILL HAVE AND friend+?

TSCer said:
This board has contracted a virus. Its called the brown blood virus and it is evil. dAhone and currentupser are obviously in mgt and are trying to, as ups mgt does, scare you, misinform you and yes of course threaten you. What being in a union does is give you a contract. A contract that states amongst other things, a set of rules to go by. That way the company cant jack up your insurance rates every year, you know what you are getting for a raise, and when mgt is HARASSING you, you have someone to go to. It will also give a fair way to be promoted. Just because you know the region manager wont be a good enough reason to get you promoted after less than two years of service. Just because you gave the supervisor a BL** JOB wont be enough to get to the region office either. And when the company wants to lay people off, they will have to prove that the work is not there. Prove it with real numbers, not the made up numbers of the BSC and PMT. Face it, ups is full of liars, cheaters and downright evil people. All of the mgt I have EVER had are completly useless. ******* doesn't even begin to describe the ineptitude of these people. They are the bottom of the barrel, and if UPS was commited to a strong workforce, all of these people would be FIRED. Talk about a cost savings! If you are staying do yourself a favor and help unionize our workforce. Technicians and Administrators should not be the whipping boy of ups. We deserve to be treated like human beings. And not the kind that live in Saudi Arabia either. This is America.You have rights UNDER THE LAW. Exercise them, protect yourself, standup for yourself and for gods sake DAHONE and CURRENTUPSER if you aren't in mgt, WAKE the **** UP! It is not a privelige to work for this place. It is a job just like any other and probably worse. It is not the only place to work and it is certainly not the best. Did you know that it someplaces, the company actually appreciates a tech that know what he/she is doing? When its time for a raise you actually get one that covers the cost of living? When their is training that is needed you actually get it? Oh yes, ups sucks big time. The mgt is horrid from the top down. They make money despite themselves. I hope there are lots of customers/investors reading this board and that ups takes a big nose dive soon. I hope all you sorry *** mgrs lose your *** in that worthless stock too. But what I mostly hope is that I never have to work with backstabbing pricks like dahone and currentupser. I really hope you are not in my new district. You are the **** beneath my ****. You two are part of the problem here, not the solution. If you could take the time to pry your lips off of your mgrs *** you might be able to see that I am right. I am a upser, and ashamed to say it. And it will be a cold day in **** when "personal acheivement" gets you anywhere in this **** hole. Keep sucking currentupser and dahone and you too will be a worthless clone one day.

ncrtscisme

WHOCARES...If you were in the situation that me and my coworkers are in, and if you were being treated by YOUR management like we are being treated by ours, I'd bet your feelings would change on this...mine have. Before this began, I never would have even dreamed that management would treat their employees like we are being treated...not only are many of us being "kicked out" of our jobs, but management has decided to crack down on every little thing they can find wrong with us. And I'm talking EVERYTHING. They show no pity whatsoever, but instead they are taking the opposite approach and kicking us while we are down. It's hard to see it when you're not experiencing it, I know, but it's happening.

ImpactedTSG

ncrtscisme said:
WHOCARES...If you were in the situation that me and my coworkers are in, and if you were being treated by YOUR management like we are being treated by ours, I'd bet your feelings would change on this...mine have. Before this began, I never would have even dreamed that management would treat their employees like we are being treated...not only are many of us being "kicked out" of our jobs, but management has decided to crack down on every little thing they can find wrong with us. And I'm talking EVERYTHING. They show no pity whatsoever, but instead they are taking the opposite approach and kicking us while we are down. It's hard to see it when you're not experiencing it, I know, but it's happening.
They probably have some magic number of SAPs they are allowed to give out and are trying to get people fired or have them quit to get down to that number. Get out, get a better job, and don't look back.

ImpactedTSG

WHOCARES said:
YOU NEED HELP. MENTAL HELP. DID YOU GET YOUR A+ YET OR YOU STILL HAVE AND friend+?
Judging by the way you wrote that sentance, if you call it a sentance, I'd say you are the one that got an friend+ (in English class).