UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
browniehound said:
Guys stop you whining about losing your job, there are others out there. Ups isn't running a friggin charity here. This is a business. If the company doesn't need you why would they PAY to keep you around? Do you guys have your head that far up your own asses.
What a jerk!
You sound as if you are the typical UPS driver who spends all his weekends drinking beer and dreading Monday morning.
crap.gif

browniehound

cinamingrl said:
What a jerk!
You sound as if you are the typical UPS driver who spends all his weekends drinking beer and dreading Monday morning.

You still dont anwser the question. Why would UPS keep you if you're not needed? Its just good business to let go techs that are not needed. Why is that so difficult to understand? I understand that UPS make a profit quarter after quarter, but the fruits of that success should go to the shareholders not to some tech guy whose job is now obsolete

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
browniehound said:
You still dont anwser the question. Why would UPS keep you if you're not needed? Its just good business to let go techs that are not needed. Why is that so difficult to understand? I understand that UPS make a profit quarter after quarter, but the fruits of that success should go to the shareholders not to some tech guy whose job is now obsolete
I was "laid off" in the same way from an admin position at UPS a little over 2 years ago. Read my threads and see. But we weren't supposed to say "layoff", as that is a union term. It was a displacement.

The thing about all of these "layoffs" is that UPS never did anything like this before. They have been known for being one of the most secure and best companies to work for in the world. And now they are letting people go. Maybe they should start letting go the lazy managers. I can think of few who need to be cut, from the hub where I used to work.

browniehound said:
And by the way. WHats wrong with spending your weekend drinking beer?
I guess nothing, if that is all you aspire to.
1.gif

browniehound said:
Why would UPS pay twice the going rate to a delivery driver!?!? Also, from my perspective these jobs are far from obsolete. Keep laying the techs off and UPS will see how obsolete they are....

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
TTG_lackie said:
Figures! We heard something was coming down the pike but "it wouldnt affect us" (Worldport). They are working hard to combine the help desk here and before long, some of us TSG new comers will be looking for another job, or maybe throwing packages!!! Still havent received any "OFFICIAL" announcement about all this crap thats going on.

Worldport is NOT affected for the obvious reason: MORE WORK, not less work. Go look at that big building going up on the corner of Fern Valley and Grade Lane.

The district field TSG's grew during deployment of Worldship, PFS, and PAS. However, instead of using temp techs to handle the peaks, we hired. Now that we are in support mode, rather than rollout mode, oops, we have excess staff. Also, the usage of automated tools like SAV and Tivoli to do things that used to require sneakernet, obviously also impact staffing levels.

Although it sounds as though some districts, as usual, are handling this with less grace than others.

Mustang

Hey Y'all!

Look at what I found on the Tuition Assistance Changes for full timers thread. It's quoted from UPSers.com.

I was already attending college when UPS decided to kick me to the curb. I was wondering if they are REALLY going to expect us to repay the money since we are only leaving because they are making us.

Post edited by administrator, please do not post text copied from UPSers.com.

Mustang

Mustang said:
Hey Y'all!

Look at what I found on the Tuition Assistance Changes for full timers thread. It's quoted from UPSers.com.

Post edited by administrator, please do not post text copied from UPSers.com.

My bad!

I had assumed (and I know what that means) that since I found it posted under another forum, that it was ok. Went back and checked that found it was also deleted and that all info from UPSers.com is under confidentiality clause. Since this is a public forum, it's not very confidential!

Since I am in college, I'm very good at paraphrasing now and would have done that if I had snapped to the confidentiality bit.

For those who missed out....

They are changing it so that it is like the policy for obtaining certificates... if they pay it and you quit before x time, then you must repay.

Also, have co-workers going for Master's degree. They only want to pay for mgmt to get Master's degrees if it applies to the position they are employeed (no hourly or mgmt getting law degrees unless they are currently employeed in the legal dept (my interpretation)).

Item 9 was something about grandfathering. I am hoping that we won't have to go through a review board to be exempt because we are already in class when the Jan 17 announcement was made.

Guess a lot of HR dudes will be busy once all the techs going to school find out about this (not to mention non techs!)

Once again, apologies Cheryl!!!

M

man with a plan

TSG_Lets_Unionize said:
Any other districts having meetings about jobs next week? They are flying in region people here.

And we were "unaffected" this year!

nothing here yet. is it more cuts?

feduptsg

We have having Region folks fly on for a "Tech Dept Mtg" on Wednesday this week. We NEVER have had a Tech Dept mtg on a Weds before. What day is your mtg scheduled for? I am in Region 05

S

Skeird

TSG_Lets_Unionize said:
Any other districts having meetings about jobs next week? They are flying in region people here.

And we were "unaffected" this year!

---

Oh great now something else to worry about!

C

ChillZone

Skeird said:
Oh great now something else to worry about!

Until I hear more about what happened, I wouldn't worry.

It could be they are all arriving for an assessment instead. They send out Region and Corporate people to do these assessments. For those not in TSG/TSC, this is nothing new. They do this every single year. Additionally, they start arriving on Tuesday and the Corp folks sometimes arrive on Tuesday's or Wednesday's.

So it could be business as usual and not more "news".

... or it could be more news....

We just have to wait and see what TSG_Lets_Unionize and feduptsg report.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have enough drama going on to worry about and I'm seeing co-workers stress out to the point of having serious medical issues. It's not worth that. Don't stress out on a maybe... Wait until you have something concrete to work with and even then, try not to stress out. Develop Plan A and Plan B, then make sure flexibility is incorporated and do a lot of praying!

M

man with a plan

ok this is wierd. we are having region folks here next week. it is not audit related ours is not until june. they wont tell us what they are coming for other than attendence is manditory? maybe it could be some form of damage control?

feduptsg

Well we had our mtg. The mtg was attended by several region folks. They went over the "TSC consolidation" and how it was going. Apparently the new "light brown" call ctr folks are fielding the low level calls like password resets until they can get them better trained. They spoke about how well some of our former co-workers from the TSC were doing and how wonderful it was that UPS had kicked them to curb. The question was asked how TSG might fare in the future and rather further cuts are coming down the road. The region folks said they could not PROMISE ANYTHING about that and that the business is CHANGING AS A WHOLE. I will tell you guys this. EVERY TSG technician had better start getting a plan together on what to do WHEN (not if) the rest of the department goes away. I am NOT saying this will happen overnight. It will take them awhile. I figure we have 1-3 years. The final countdown should be visible when we have to start training our replacements(as they did to the TSC folks when they had them cut their own throats by preparing powerpoint presentations on how to fix our common problems). The new replacement folks will probably have some BS job title like "light brown" technicians. They will probably start with the them supporting the SCS folks and have them train with us for a month or 2 at a time. I AM NOT trying to upset anybody just to state a fact that this company no longer cares about it's employees like it used to and that it is looking like they are slowly getting their plan together to outsource this dept. You guys tell me why when we ask about future cuts NO ONE assures us that we as a valuable commodity could never be outsourced and instead engages in BULLS^%$ doublespeak about the "changing company and blah blah blah". Please prepare yourselves. Good luck to all us....

D

Disillusioned Tech

One of the technicians being laid off....

When I joined the UPS family about five years ago, Jim Casey was still part of UPS, and one thing we kept hearing around the office all the time was how UPS was a great place to work at, and how UPS didn't fire their employees, how much they were appreciated. Five years later, I need to find me another job, because UPS is laying me off and I am not getting the chance to apply for a job in another department. Meanwhile, our CEO, Mike Eskew, has a salary close to $1,000,000. He gets that, we get the shaft.

All I know is that I have to leave UPS, and they are replacing a lot of us with new employees mostly. Believe me, this is not an easy job. I've learned a lot in five years. The guys at the TSC in Las Vegas are not going to learn in four or five months what I've learned in five years. Computer support is going to suffer, and because of that, customer support is also going to suffer. But you know what? I really don't care about UPS anymore. Why should I when UPS doesn't really care about what happens to me? I'll stay here until the end, take my separation allowance and leave to my next job. This is the last time this crap happens to me. I'm getting far away from the pc support market as fast as I can. There is too much work, your supervisors don't really appreciate you, you have to keep upgrading your skills, and the pay is miserable compared to other jobs. I am even thinking about starting my own business, and when I do have my own business, you can bet your booty I am not using UPS for my package delivery!!!

U

ups_tech1

In the end its typical new(post IPO) UPS. Lets put all of our eggs in one basket (PAS being that basket) and piss off the people carrying that basket.

Sorry to hear about the layoffs guys. I worked as a ups tech in region 06 until about 8 months ago, when I bailed for another job at another company. Best decision I ever made. I truly hope it all works out for those displaced.
There are some great people UPS cannot afford to loose, esp at the help desk. If Carlos and Janet from the helpdesk are reading this, you are these people; I hope you guys are okay.

When I left most regions I had worked with were poorly staffed, both head count and skill levels. There was the big push for A+ and later Network+ certs, which were a joke. The company has done a terrible joke in keeping an recruiting people that are skilled enough to deal with the vast amount of technology it employs. Those that are skilled are paid the same as those that are not, so they leave. I would have hoped that they would have used this layoff to trim the fat, which of course they didn't.

And lets put this in perspective for those of you out there who doubt the need for good TSG people at your local site. If 1 driver screws the pooch any given morning there are a few hundred packages that are going to be late. If the network/server screws the pooch on that same morning, PAS is hosed. All the packages are going to be late. Now the management theory goes that the Helpdesk or outsourced Dork Squad are going to race to the rescue. The helpdesk is going to be pretty much flying blind, its like open heart surgery from space. The outsourced group is firstly going to take a while to get on the scene. How much disruption would be caused by PAS down for an hour? Secondly, UPS deals with a lot of technology in a way that is completely unique. It would take a newbie a long time to even figure out where to begin.

So how much is this little cutback going to save? Guess what, its not enough!

Kristopher