UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

V

Vegas local

The Las vegas center is actually a UPS facility with UPSers doing the job.

Yes, that is actually, correct, these are upsers, that toured the South Las Vegas building, but from what I could see were new hires.
Not sure if the opportunity for transfer was given, but the skill set is low.

ImpactedTSG

Sure, but at UPS, even at $25 or $30 an hour, the skillset is low.
It is like that for a reason. They want to dumb down the position so anyone that can find the power button on a PC can troubleshoot. Those of us that kept their skills relatively current, were able to find jobs, those that didn't, good luck to them.

S

Super Awesome

The TSG department isn't for smart people, it's for people who passed the "interview" process and got lucky. $25/hour and they don't even know what a server is.

If you want a tech job and like tech stuff, goto Monster.com and hope you have a degree, or know someone.

Any tech worth his or her salt doesn't stay in TSG for long, cause they couldn't stand it without losing their minds.

DeadEnd

I wish people that didn't work here anymore would quit posting. I think these post should be for us to share what's going on in other districts so we can stay ahead of the game. Plus some of us are happy with the pay and job. Some of us already have a steady income in the house and are happy with our current status. If you don't like it quit and if you have already quit find something else to do.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
I wish the people still in TSG would get over their denial, so it won't be such a shock when they get severed.

However, if wishes were horses, fools would ride.

Speaking of shock, there's the shock of learning what the technical world outside of UPS is like.

And another thing: I should NOT use that saying about horses, because my household now owns 15&1/3 horses (including the one that was born yesterday).

Speaking of born yesterday...nah, I'll just drop that topic.

Y

Yecht!

I wish people that didn't work here anymore would quit posting. I think these post should be for us to share what's going on in other districts so we can stay ahead of the game. Plus some of us are happy with the pay and job. Some of us already have a steady income in the house and are happy with our current status. If you don't like it quit and if you have already quit find something else to do.

Stay ahead of the game....

What are you talking about?

I'll tell you what is going on. You are in the midst of continually consolidating management and hourly positions in a so-called technology department. You are really just administrative assistants with phillips screwdrivers.

Ahead of the game is knowing what the latest SMS test is before anyone in your district -- wooo, and hacha cha, your the man for knowing that. Heck, your ahead of the game!!!

Be happy and content. See you in the unemployment line.

Oh, and your username says it all.

Just a friendly advice from someone that has been there done that, freshen up and widen your skillset. the day will come when your job will be outsourced.

-a|ex

I

IreallyDon'tMissTSG

Why do all these EX-UPSERS keep posting in this thread?

Because they miss UPS.

Nope, we don't miss it. I just get home too late to watch Jerry Springer. TSG is such a trainwreck, I can't stop watching.

It was hard for me to quit, and it was hard to get another job, but I wouldn't trade places with you guys again for anything -- I mean, maybe a million dollars, but it would take something like that. Even then, I would quit after the check cleared.

We come back for two reasons; 1) now that we have left, we really do want you guys to see the light. You probably feel battered or betrayed, but we really do have your interests in mind. If you are close to retirement or have 10 children, I get it, STAY. If not, consider our advice. I don't think a single ex-TSG person regrets it. And 2), the train wreck -- yeah, I can't get enough of this stuff. You guys are like watching a reality show.

S

Super Awesome

Train wreck is right. I myself welcome input from those that have left. I think I'm burnt out and really can't do the "blind corporate bidding" any more. I think I'd simply rather pump gas.

I have to wonder though, is it really better elsewhere? To those who have left, is it really better, or is me so wanting to leave the stupid-show, just a case of "the grass is always greener?"

TSG is insane, but I'll never get fired, and could probably retire at UPS easily. My biggest fear is that I'll quit, only to find it's the same everywhere... :P

ImpactedTSG

Train wreck is right. I myself welcome input from those that have left. I think I'm burnt out and really can't do the "blind corporate bidding" any more. I think I'd simply rather pump gas.

I have to wonder though, is it really better elsewhere? To those who have left, is it really better, or is me so wanting to leave the stupid-show, just a case of "the grass is always greener?"

TSG is insane, but I'll never get fired, and could probably retire at UPS easily. My biggest fear is that I'll quit, only to find it's the same everywhere... :P
Yes it is better. In my job, I get sent to install software, install networks, etc with no manual except what is in my head. If I get stuck I research, read and learn. I don't just call and open a corporate log. I have learned more in the last year than the six years I spent with UPS. I get to wear jeans, grow facial hair, have fully paid benefits, use a company car when I have to travel for work. I would go on but you get the idea. If I have a problem I walk down the hall and talk directly to the CEO. Unless I got unusually lucky it is better outside of UPS. I don't think one tech has posted on here that they regret leaving.

N

NoDebate!

I think I'd simply rather pump gas.

I love that you are willing to talk about the trainwreck. I hate that you are still skeptical that TSG is an anomolous mess.

UPS is a hard company, but it is well regarded, affords a lot of money and benefits to its employees, and gets the job done.

You have to separate TSG from UPS. Once you do, you should see that your job is only good by association.

I only worked a few other IT jobs, so my observations and opinion is not the broadest. However, I see almost nothing in the technical world that really approaches the mess in TSG.

I spent many years in TSG being capable of doing IT work that was extremely advanced. Sometimes I could squeak in a certain thing (a group object, a script, whatever) that I came up with that gave me a little feeling of being in control of my situation. Most of the time, I did work that a 50 year old woman with no technicial knowledge or inclination could do -- oh, yeah, that last comment is literal -- it happened.

Even in TSG there are tiers of ability. Some techs are really good, and some are just dreadful. This is true anywhere.

I speak to the good technicians. For you, there is a whole world outside UPS where you can excel and share your skills.

A really good technician is valued every where I go -- except UPS. There, a good technician will swap the same eltron and use the same can of canned air as the worst. There is nothing that UPS does to distinquish one from the other.

At one time, there was pride at being a Tech II (now Senior Tech). After a few years, everyone became one.

I have discovered that the job gave me a horrible attitude. I would read certification manuals outside work, and my buddy would read Field & Stream. At raise time, there was no distinction.

I could write scripts and manage AD, and a coworker could really sell Mary Kay and Pampered Chef (on the job) -- to UPS there was no distinction.

I would volunteer to stay in a center or hub until the job was done. I would answer calls for PAS help, while my coworker would clockout(activity system) with tickets open, phones ringing, and customers at the door. Management saw the distinction, but had to ability to give merit.

A skilled person, with good customer skills, and a willingness to help should always be valued over someone lacking those assets. At UPS, we are all the same.

If you are one of those "good" technicians, you can do well outside UPS. If you don't see yourself meeting the criteria above, stay, stay, stay. You will see the grass is greener at UPS -- a company that either cannot or fails to distinguish your sorry :censored2: from a good tech.

Leaving won't be easy, you'll have a hard time finding a job, you might get paid a little less. After being gone a year, I can tell you that my attitude and general mental health has so improved that I feel like a "born-again" and must proselytize to the masses.

It is such a difference having people ask for your professional opinion. It is so different having users really value your help.

TSG is union work with a disc, rather than a brown box. The problem is that TSG work requires thinking (even for the non-"good" ones). The more you think, the more you think the job sucks. Do overthink this, it really does suck.

If you're at UPS for benefits, then only judge UPS by benefits. In this case, it is awesome -- therefore, TSG is awesome.

If your at UPS for a professional career -- and you ain't driving a truck, you picked the wrong one.

If you are stuck at UPS because the benefits are good, the pay is fine, and the life is easy, yet you yearn to do real technical work, the kind you know you are capable of, well........ It is just sad because I was in that same place with the same feelings for many years. Without the downsizing and buyout, I would still be there. Find a way to let go.

None of use who have "let go" regret it for a second.

If nothing else, just take a 3 or 6 month period of your life (hopefully soon) and read-up on resume writing. In fact, have someone else do it. If you were like me, at UPS for over a decade, you don't really know how to write one anyone. Get your resume done. You'll be suprised that what you do, however mundane, is still more than others who apply for jobs.

Read your local paper, go online, and apply for jobs. You probably won't get a lot of call-backs, but you will get some. Go on some interviews (yes, you will have to give away some discretionary days).

Just see how people in other companies talk to you, what they offer. Think about how empowered you feel for the first time in years. Get excited, and you may break those brown velvet handcuffs.

While many of use love the trainwreck, we will remain here to help you out of the wreckage if you really want to be rescued.

I

Im Super Good

Wow its hard to even put into words how much better it is. You can make a jump if you have a good personality and you know how to do the job. It will probably not be quickly accomplished but when you get it done it will be worth it.

I swear I read these posts and I think you guys all must be from R02. Either that or we all just had the same experiences there. We truly were treated all the same regardless of ability. I couldnt be happier that I left.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Yes it is better. <snip> Unless I got unusually lucky it is better outside of UPS. I don't think one tech has posted on here that they regret leaving.
Take that with a grain of salt. Those of us with technical backgrounds/skills/knowledge found new employment with relative ease. I was in a District that encouraged the Techs to use and develop their own skills, so a lot of us were not too far behind the rest of the world. But those who had no exposure to technical work outside UPS had more difficulty...and may not be so likely to post here.

Why do I hang around here? I want to hear about what is going on for those people I worked with for about 10 years. UPS was a big chunk of my life, and I appreciate what I learned.

I was also looking for a train wreck, but I have not seen one. I thought I would see stories about horrible infrastructure failures, service disruptions, etc., all attributable to TSG understaffing. That would show 'em that they made the wrong decision...but it has not happened that way. It was a business decision to reduce TSG staffing, and I hate to admit how right it may have been.

Now, I wonder how soon they'll do more of the same....