UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

S

Skittles

Stallwarts,

I am sure what you wrote has some value but I don't want to sit here and try to decipher what you are stating, please write in english.

Man o man, Turd,

If you didn't get that guy, you should stay at UPS. If you are gone, you should return and beg for the job.

Skittles

tieguy

Banned
Tie,

UPS has some of the most mudane, unsafe, and dirty work in America, yet technicians will wring hands and stress about leaving Brown. Once you are gone, as I am, it is embarrassing to realize what boring and unrewarding work you did just for good benefits and days off.

Technicians have a skill that companies are willing to reward. Instead of feeling like the redheaded step-sister to the ICS, just go somewhere else and you might rise to the ICS in a year or two.

I guess I'm missing your point. Would it be safe to say a majority of the work called in on the phone is troubleshooting related. If so then I would imagine you would want the tech to follow a predefined series of troubleshooting steps before progressing on to the technically challenging work?

S

Spents

I guess I'm missing your point. Would it be safe to say a majority of the work called in on the phone is troubleshooting related. If so then I would imagine you would want the tech to follow a predefined series of troubleshooting steps before progressing on to the technically challenging work?

Tie,

The "predefined series of troubleshooting steps" apply to ICS (Helpdesks). They don't apply to TSG techs. Yes, there is probably a commonsense series of steps to follow, but I have never seen such a guide published for TSG in Hubs and Center, or for external customer support.

You might be confusing what a helpdesk technician does and what a field technician actually does.

Spents

T

technicallyspeaking,

Stallwarts,

I am sure what you wrote has some value but I don't want to sit here and try to decipher what you are stating, please write in english.

BT,

I can some it up for us;

If you are unhappy with your job, change your attitude or change the job.

If you find doing tech work more important than which company you do it at, consider going to a different company. Conversely, if you like UPS and its benefits more than you regard job satisfaction, then stay at UPS -- and try to find a way to tolerate it.

If your absolute passion is technology, think about whether UPS can fulfill this calling. If it can (such as at Mahwah or Atlanta), strive for the dream. If you cannot fulfill your dreams, move on to another company.

Maybe I didn't sum this up very well, who knows.

I have seen where so many people think that UPS is the best they can do in life. For some, this might be true. For a transportation worker, UPS is awesome. For technical people, UPS is just ordinary -- technician's are paid the least of all full-time employees at UPS (exception being clerical workers). There is little training and even less advancement opportunity. This is not typical of the job market. Then again, UPS does offer benefits that are on-par or exceed the industry. I think the benefit offerings are things that keep many people at UPS. UPS is a powerful and established company, with a proven record of transportation excellence. It is not, however, a Mecca for technical workers. Again, you have to decide what you want from UPS. Maybe it can give it to you, maybe it cannot. Once you figure it out, you might have a hard decision to make.

BrownTurd

Its all good!
Skittles,
I have a snapshot of what stallwarts message looked like when it was first posted, it appears to have looked liked he was trying to write it in German, here is what the first few lines looked like:

"Teee-a

I get vhet yuoo ere-a seyeeng, boot ell thees pueent-cuoonterpueent hursecrep."

I do not know why the whole message looked that way at the time because nobody elses did. I took a snapshot of it because sometimes when I viewed it it was normal and other times it looked like Ebonics. I wanted to post the snapshot to see if anybody could tell me why it was doing that just to that posting.

I owe Stallwarts an apology.

BrownTurd

BrownTurd

Its all good!
Our Region has already started the alignment, we are no longer 03/85 we are now 03/G1, we have been grouped with a district south of us. They have not told us that yet but all theit technicians are in the drop down box in PMT2. After the alignment and with a few managers and supervisors gone, the staffing for technicians will be next on the chopping block.

stressed

Our District just merged with the district to the north.-
We are wondering which District's Mgr is going to be running the show, and when or if the lay offs will start, and when I will be dispatched to cover a SEV 2 that is 120 miles away.
I know of 2 techs, beside myself, that aren't waiting to hear they are outsourced out of a job.-
I need something better than what this turned into: Corporate focus shifted from customer service to numbers!

The new company motto might as well be: United Parcel Equation.

I remember when I liked my job. I have been in TSG this since the Novell days. and in operations before TSG. I remember when "quality" work counted- and Techs used to support each other.
I like math, I'm pretty good at it too, but I've started to realize I've been trying to meet pre-formulated, unattainable goals that do not have any real value.- EXCEPT to put a price on replacing the service I provide.

S

Stresssaid

Our District just merged with the district to the north.-
We are wondering which District's Mgr is going to be running the show, and when or if the lay offs will start, and when I will be dispatched to cover a SEV 2 that is 120 miles away.
I know of 2 techs, beside myself, that aren't waiting to hear they are outsourced out of a job.-
I need something better than what this turned into: Corporate focus shifted from customer service to numbers!

The new company motto might as well be: United Parcel Equation.

I remember when I liked my job. I have been in TSG this since the Novell days. and in operations before TSG. I remember when "quality" work counted- and Techs used to support each other.
I like math, I'm pretty good at it too, but I've started to realize I've been trying to meet pre-formulated, unattainable goals that do not have any real value.- EXCEPT to put a price on replacing the service I provide.

I hear you loud and clear. My TSG experience mirrors yours. I left last year through the voluntary buyout. I saved one of my co-worker's job by leaving. He went ahead and got fired six months later.

Anyway, I was fearful of leaving, but did it anyway.

I have a job that is good, benefits that are equal, time-off that is far far superior and a set of co-workers and users that are good people.

BROWN is good, but it ain't the only color or company in the world. Consider a change. One day, just like me, you'll look back at UPS and realize just how silly the whole situation was.

At 40 years old, if I had to name a couple of things I regretted and a couple I didn't. I would have think about it for a minute. I'm doing so right name, <pause>..... Leaving UPS is truly one of those things I do not regret. It is the first thing that comes to mind as a sound decision. It didn't feel that way in the days and weeks leading up to my resignation, though.

ncrtscisme

I agree, leaving was something I don't regret...now. In the days leading up to it, and some of the months afterwards, I felt some regrets. I mean, I used to love the job and planned on eventually retiring from UPS. I thought I would be there for the long run, especially since they seemed to pride themselves on never laying off workers (irony at its best!). The way things started to change with management and just how the company was being run in general was definitely the sign of things to come. But now I'm glad I did it...and I'm not even employed yet (yipes! soon to be, I hope!!!).
Just the other day I was on the phone with a former TSC coworker who is still at UPS (currently TSG). This person chose to stay because of many years of seniority...but is now telling me "you should be so happy you left, if I could go back and change my mind I would've taken the severance and gotten out!". Seems things are just getting worse with management b.s., PMT, etc. What a sad time in UPS history. They should take a good look at the way companies like Google treat their employees.

feduptsg

How many projects you guys have on the radar this year? Seems like it is going to be slow for us. Have you guys heard of a new "automated" DCS upgrade thru Tivoli?

I second that! The ERI survey is a joke and never accomplishes what they say they want. It just answers if you think management should go or stay for the time being! It also gives them an idea of what the employees really think about management. They may not see names attached to these surveys, but they know who you are! Then they try to flush you out since they don't want to fire you and pay unemployment!

No DCS will never be upgraded via Tivoli! If the system is not installed correctly, no one showing up to the building will be working the next day, there will be alot of tension between corporate and local management and people will probably get fired for emotional outbursts! In order words, Anarchy! Trust me, upgrading DCS automatically is not an option unless its a necessary software patch. Just call 1-888-UPS-TECH and have a TSC tech at option 3 install it for you... corporate pays people OT at the call center to install these things and explain them to you.

max350

Re: PS laying off Technical hourly employees

The concern help desk thats a joke. The only way TSG will keep their jobs is if we all band together and GO UNION. We have no protection from management. We could all just walk off the job and leave UPS hanging that would get them.

max350

What a jerk!
You sound as if you are the typical UPS driver who spends all his weekends drinking beer and dreading Monday morning.
Yea just wait your time is coming. “O” I forgot you have a union that will help you keep your job even if you’re a screw up. Some of us have degrees and nowhere to go because of companies like UPS. Let me tell you what a manager told me I train a monkey to drive a truck and give enough time I train a monkey to fix a computer systems. So it looks like a monkey will be getting your $28 per hour job before long and you will be looking for a job to support your family.

W

WPN2RXL

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going.

Well, it's been a year to the day (my birthday) since UPS hit me with the worst birthday present ever. That was the infamous conference call that let us know about the cutbacks. So a year later to the day, I get an e-mail from my new CEO. This was not to tell me about cutbacks or whatever, but to tell me I will be receiving stock and will be in with the other "owners" of the company. One year after brown and I couldn't be happier to be out of that place.

alister

No DCS will never be upgraded via Tivoli! If the system is not installed correctly, no one showing up to the building will be working the next day, there will be alot of tension between corporate and local management and people will probably get fired for emotional outbursts! In order words, Anarchy! Trust me, upgrading DCS automatically is not an option unless its a necessary software patch. Just call 1-888-UPS-TECH and have a TSC tech at option 3 install it for you... corporate pays people OT at the call center to install these things and explain them to you.

I think your making an assumptions that the Diad 4 is as unfriendly with old versions as the previous Diads have. What if they have changed this so they can have more than one version working at one time on a DCS computer. the only thing that would keep this from working is the mixed existence of the Diad 3's and 4's. I bet most if not all the centers are no longer using Diad 3's. Never say never.

nerrollus

I think your making an assumptions that the Diad 4 is as unfriendly with old versions as the previous Diads have. What if they have changed this so they can have more than one version working at one time on a DCS computer. the only thing that would keep this from working is the mixed existence of the Diad 3's and 4's. I bet most if not all the centers are no longer using Diad 3's. Never say never.

I'm going to agree that they won't automate ... Given the last DCS upgrade that happened in our district (DIAD4's) it was a total nightmare because a ton of the D4's stop communicating with the network in the middle of the upgrade. Was a total mess.

Right now we have all the OMS's do the upgrade and give them a direct number to a TSG technician should a problem come up. Same could probably be done with just having them call the TSC should a problem come up or they don't understand the instructions.

S

SEA1SUX

I'm going to agree that they won't automate ... Given the last DCS upgrade that happened in our district (DIAD4's) it was a total nightmare because a ton of the D4's stop communicating with the network in the middle of the upgrade. Was a total mess.

Right now we have all the OMS's do the upgrade and give them a direct number to a TSG technician should a problem come up. Same could probably be done with just having them call the TSC should a problem come up or they don't understand the instructions.

Up until this year we did all the DCS upgrades in the district for our centers. We have recently merged with another district and now we are under the rule of the other district, who we hear will not let techs do the upgrades. Should be interesting from here on out.