UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

ncrtscisme

I don't mean to sound TOO "disgruntled", but the longer it takes me to find a job that will pay the bills (and thus the closer I get to running out of money and not being able to pay my bills) the more my hatred towards UPS grows. I cannot wait for the day these thoughts are just a distant memory, but right now it just ain't happening. I would give anything to see Jay Beavis or Tony Orico (or any of those bastards in corporate that had a hand in the decision) get the brown boot-in-the-ass.
I'll never forget the video they made us watch that stated how our people are the most important part of UPS...and I still can't believe they actually made us watch it knowing that our jobs were going away!

UPS:

U nfeeling
P ieces of
S hit

Ahhh, feels a little better to vent...thanks, and sorry to anyone who was offended by my language.

S

sea1sux

So out of the several dozen projects and upgrades next year, only 2 require TSG?

WTF???

BrownTurd

Its all good!
You know NCRTSCISME, the sad part is UPS made TSG supervisors out of people who are technically challanged but willing to work more than 10 hours a day for 8 hours of pay. If you want to stay at UPS you must show a desire to become management and become a slave. They will keep these people on the payroll longer than a employee who knows what they are doing.
It made me laugh when packageguy said something like, "all TSG supervisors are moving in to the TSC", if that is true then TSG will be around in 2008.
The good ones are the first to go.
Good Luck!

beentheredonethat

I don't mean to sound TOO "disgruntled", but the longer it takes me to find a job that will pay the bills (and thus the closer I get to running out of money and not being able to pay my bills) the more my hatred towards UPS grows. I cannot wait for the day these thoughts are just a distant memory, but right now it just ain't happening. I would give anything to see Jay Beavis or Tony Orico (or any of those bastards in corporate that had a hand in the decision) get the brown boot-in-the-ass.
I'll never forget the video they made us watch that stated how our people are the most important part of UPS...and I still can't believe they actually made us watch it knowing that our jobs were going away!

UPS:

U nfeeling
P ieces of
S hit

Ahhh, feels a little better to vent...thanks, and sorry to anyone who was offended by my language.

NCR -
Sorry that you are still out looking for a good job. Hopefully all will work out in the end. However, keep in mind, the job of a company is not to provide jobs. The job of a company is to make money. It does it by making a product that it sells or offers a service that it sells. During the selling of the product or service it makes money. If a company can do things faster and cheaper and with less people. Shareowners would be upset and rightfully so if UPS didn't try to become more efficient. Unfortunately this may mean job reductions.

A

Anonymous Voice of Reason

BeenThereDoneThat,

I think Casey is rolling in his grave over the layoffs and direction of the company. One of the things that made UPS special was the legacy of taking care of its employees, even if it meant sucking up some extra expense for a while. Now our upper management makes decisions to please people that only care about making a fast buck off UPS. They want to please Wall Street, which doesn't care about UPS, doesn't care about UPS customers, and doesn't care about our employees. It's the way the average public schmuck company does business, but it's far different than the way Casey's company used to do business.

TSCer

NCR -
Sorry that you are still out looking for a good job. Hopefully all will work out in the end. However, keep in mind, the job of a company is not to provide jobs. The job of a company is to make money. It does it by making a product that it sells or offers a service that it sells. During the selling of the product or service it makes money. If a company can do things faster and cheaper and with less people. Shareowners would be upset and rightfully so if UPS didn't try to become more efficient. Unfortunately this may mean job reductions.

beentheredonethat,

Do you see what the company has done by running its business this way? PAS is a total failure. Why? Because the company believes that you dont need to know technology to manage technology. BIG MISTAKE. They are not doing things faster or cheaper at this point. They are flushing the careers and futures of many, many of the faithful down the toilet. Shareowners are already upset, as the stock of the company is a big fat loser. They have laid off how many people now and still the stock doesnt move? One day the only people left will be the ones in the ivory tower and everything else will be outsourced. Of course this will accomplish nothing except crapping a big brown turd on the good people that made the company what it was until people like JB, TO and M E trashed it.

NCR, keep the faith bro, your day is coming soon!

H

HonestlyFolks

beentheredonethat,

Do you see what the company has done by running its business this way? PAS is a total failure. Why? Because the company believes that you dont need to know technology to manage technology. BIG MISTAKE. They are not doing things faster or cheaper at this point. They are flushing the careers and futures of many, many of the faithful down the toilet. Shareowners are already upset, as the stock of the company is a big fat loser. They have laid off how many people now and still the stock doesnt move? One day the only people left will be the ones in the ivory tower and everything else will be outsourced. Of course this will accomplish nothing except crapping a big brown turd on the good people that made the company what it was until people like JB, TO and M E trashed it.

NCR, keep the faith bro, your day is coming soon!

You know, I really do feel for those left behind, or were layed-off. I was one of you. However, you guys are really losing focus, though.

You guys are left with a situation that is perpetually deteriorating. You keep getting upset that UPS no longer loves you. When did they, really. I mean, when things were good we were always the stepchild of the company. We were a necessary evil expense.

Now that things are tougher, why wouldn't they want to shuffle us out.

There hasn't been real technical work for technicians since the days of Novell or the first deployment of NT. Since I have left, I have had a rude awakening to the fact that my technical skills were in such decline that I had to fake my abilities for months at my new job.

UPS techs have always had to train themselves; we have always had to make our way. It is this 'can do' philosophy that aided me at my new job. Being a tech at UPS is being a 'persona non grata'. Come on, you know you never felt entirely part of UPS. If you came from another department, as many of us did, you know this better than others. It is this outcast experience that actually gave me the strength to take on the challenge of learning a whole new company, their politics, and technology.

The situation now is that you recognize the ship is sinking, and yet, you still cling to the railing instead fighting for the raft.

If you are close to retirement, I understand the clinging response. I would too. But, man, if you are in your twenties, thirties, even forties, I cannot fathom why you still cling.

If every month brings new horror stories of layoffs and random quitting, then why do you cling to the idea of retiring, when each year is more bleak -- each month, actually.

There are managers and supervisors, that bled brown, quitting monthly. I would have lost my life savings had I bet on these people ever leaving. These are guys with less education and skill than we have.

I hate to rant, but don't you think UPS has a right to automate and downsize as they see fit. I'm not saying it is morally right, but it is legally correct.

I felt ill after hearing about our layoff this year. I have been gone since February and I have not, for a minute, regretted it. Then again, I had wanted to leave for years and just couldn't do it. I suppose this explains some of the 'clinging.'

If I felt the way some/many of you do, I couldn't understand staying. I mean, they stress of it all. How can you ever have a good day.

You are rolling dice if you think you'll make it to retirement. Of course, this is true for most jobs, really. However, why not enjoy your working life. There are jobs, just as unsecure as a UPS Techs, that will challenge your mind and keep your days full of interest.

To continue to blame Eskew and Beavis for doing what every other company does is simply not solving anything. It helps to vent, I know. But, it gets you nowhere other than another notched day. There are too many of those stressful days left to think you will make it to the end at UPS.

Knowing that TSG is changing; the job is dull, you are being deskilled, and the job is not secure, I wonder what your feelings are. Do you love UPS that much? I have to wonder, because you don't want to leave. If your passion is UPS, then doing TSG work is secondary. In this case, do a preferred UPS job such as driving or management.

If your passion is technology, then you are in a rut, because there are hotter jobs practically everywhere else.

If you leave, though, leave smart. There are a lot of bad jobs out there. I know you know this, but I have to say that you need to plan well.

Sorry to rant, especially saying the same crap that we have heard over and over again.

I am really starting to read less angry voices and more desperate ones on this thread. That bothers me. It is almost a resignation to a future bad fate. You don't have to be a victim, unless, of course, you put your future in UPS' hands. During your next department or group meeting, look around. In your mind, find that one person who does whatever management always wants, that sorta loves SMS, that finds a positive in every negative. This guy makes me wanna puke. But guess what, he is the one that will be there until the end. As you look around the room, picture that group dwindling next year, then the next, and so on. Eventually all is left is that one guy -- the one that just either isn't motivated or is just happy at doing whatever at UPS. He is the one that will sit alone. The rest of you will be filling out W2's at your new jobs, or working hard at your new company. You'll think back to all this and wonder why you didn't see things more clearly in 2006.

Oh, and lastly, I want to address the old argument that UPS will have to keep Techs because somebody will have to be there to keep up with the ever increasing technology. Yes, this is the often argued view of many. This is the one that is salve to your wounded feeling about your place at UPS. Well, isn't 2006 really revealing? I mean, isn't other functions doing PAS upgrades. Don't extended centers swap out their own equipment. Doesn't Mahwah reorg the PAS databases. Aren't we giving money to customers to buy their own Worldship hardware.

Yeah, that last bastion of hope is really just a badly constructed theory by technicians clinging to the rail. Well, I think it, too, is all wet.

Good luck guys.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Most of the post by HonestlyFolks could have been my own words. I have a few minor differences:
There hasn't been real technical work for technicians since the days of Novell or the first deployment of NT. Since I have left, I have had a rude awakening to the fact that my technical skills were in such decline that I had to fake my abilities for months at my new job.
I would say that there was some real technical work to be found - but we had to take it upon ourselves, and it was above and beyond the call of duty. I am still faking it at my new job, but my UPS experience taught me to find the answers.
The situation now is that you recognize the ship is sinking, and yet, you still cling to the railing instead fighting for the raft.

If you are close to retirement, I understand the clinging response. I would too. But, man, if you are in your twenties, thirties, even forties, I cannot fathom why you still cling.
But I can fathom it. Each of us has a story about ourself inside our head. That story ends with some version of Happily Ever After. It is difficult to accept a change in our lives that messes with our path to Happily Ever After. My story had me enduring UPS TSG until I could retire - another 16 to 18 years. In February, I had to rewrite my story. Uncertainty makes it hard to find a new path to Happily Ever After. (I'd bet I am not the only one who started buying lottery tickets, looking for Deus ex Machina.)
Good luck guys.
We who have found new employment quickly forget how stressful the uncertainty was - the uncertainty of continued employment at UPS, followed by the uncertainty of finding new employment. Next, there is the uncertainty that comes with being the newbie.

Nothing in this post has any meaning that is disparaging or derogatory to UPS or anyone at UPS. So there.

TSCer

You know, I really do feel for those left behind, or were layed-off. I was one of you. However, you guys are really losing focus, though.

Good luck guys.

HF,

Since you quoted me I felt compelled to let you know. Ive been gone since last April.

I was talking to one of my friends tonight who left who was in TSG, probably the best tech in NCR. He and I of course are super happy we chose to leave and we both know had we stayed we'd be miserable like those that did.

Any job you have is what you make of it, whether you fake it till you make it or if you just got what it takes. My point is this. The company used to be a great place to be until they went public. Now whether or not the bumbling exscuses for mgt had anything to do with making that place the worst place to be I dont know for sure. I do know that if I saw any of them on the street it sure wouldnt be a pleasant experience for them. They made it personal at the NCR TSC/TSG and that company was the worst place I ever worked and they had a lot to do with it. Probably the reason why people are still stinging over the whole thing is that their mgt made it personal too. The only joy I get now out of that place is the fact that they are now laying off mgt and the stock still blows.

beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat,

Do you see what the company has done by running its business this way? PAS is a total failure. Why? Because the company believes that you dont need to know technology to manage technology. BIG MISTAKE. They are not doing things faster or cheaper at this point.

TSCer, I am not one that blindly follows the company line. I also believe that in many areas PAS hasn't worked out well. I believe this is due, more to UPS managment creating deadlines that forced the PAS implementation team and center team to "complete" a center before it was really complete. In many centers there is vasts improvements in NDPPH. Also, training time in the preload has dropped from months to days. The biggest gains to UPS is just starting to come out. Worldship 9.0 has a new feature which will allow customers to intercept pkgs for rerouting. (this won't be available til 2nd qtr 2007). This offering is due to UPS having PAS. There's other service offerings that will be offered that is still not available to most UPS mgmt. These other new offerings should be beta tested in the fields in 2008. With the information and infrastructure we now have in place, we will be offering more services that FEDEX won't be able to match. A total failure, I don't think so.

ncrtscisme

Just heard from a friend who is currently in external TSG...
looks like external will be no more very soon, both internal and external techs are doing the same jobs. soon all techs will be based out of the hubs and will be doing both jobs.

-merge them together and then go in for the kill...:thumbup1:

Run2KpUp

Read "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. It will explain the thinking of some of this I think. It doesn't make it right, but it explains it. Technology flattens the world. It is difficult to speak to someone who has NO clue how your building is set up and what type conditions you have.

I was TSG- now I am "tsg" for our family business. Much better!
Don't let Brown get you down!

J

just "the boy"

Just heard from a friend who is currently in external TSG...
looks like external will be no more very soon, both internal and external techs are doing the same jobs. soon all techs will be based out of the hubs and will be doing both jobs.

I thought this was the case everywhere for at least the last year?

I am from the call center in Las Vegas, Nevada. UPS has outsourced to a company formerly known as Micro-age. Apparently, Micro-age was once a call center, dealing with third party customers like Excite, Dell, and some other unknown entities as well as 2 UPS contracted desks. UPS decided to buyout Micro-age's call center and employees and rename them UPS Teleservices. Now we run the TSC, SCS, CSC, and handle external customers and internal employees for the hubs. UPS Teleservices are a subsidiary still, which means if UPS decides the call center is not performing to par, they have the right to close the project without incurring financial loss, legally. We are technically a contracted, funded project for UPS, with a separate budget and a coinciding agenda with UPS corporate. I used to work for a large internet firm so at least I know what I'm doing. I'd say half know there tech stuff, half don't and most of them are still learning how to take a phone call (lol). We all speak perfect english however, except for Wolfgang whos German and speaks with a thick accent...lol. I submitted a post detailing the new call center and my severe disappointment with them. I'm pretty new to this site though...submitted my feeling with the "S" and "B.S." words, so we shall see if it gets posted. If not, I saved my notes and will repost later with a "cleaned up" version of the juicy, dirty details that is the new TSC. The topic is titled "The National TSC Help Desk in Las Vegas (1-888-UPS-TECH)" And you can be sure it won't be pretty when I get done with these brown turds, trust me!

The function of the group is the TSC (Technical Support Center). They are the national call center, servicing employees in the hubs with day to day issues with general technical inquiries to critical systems support. I am a "critical" technician (what a fancy way to make me feel special, awwwwww!) for the help desk, supporting Package and Automotive UPS technologies and PFT (Package Flow Technology) for the hubs. PFT would support the major systems that begin and process automated sorting of customer packages on a long assembly of conveyor belts, arms and push-package mechanics. When someone can't start the sort for the day, they call me and I check to see if the services on the servers are running correctly. If not, I get them to a level 2 Internal Customer Support (ICS) rep with a snooty attitude might I add. With Package Operations, I support timecard systems, DIAD control systems (those little boards you sign are DIAD's), center reporting, label printing and application workstations, package clerks processing packages and the center manager, who's usually a waste of space and insist the techs work there "magic" immediately to instantly fix these critical systems. We aren't really even technicians, we are more like secretaries for ICS, TSG and NOC. How can you be a tech if all you do is get an IP address, remotely connect to the computer and go through a list of things to try?

BrownTurd

Its all good!
BIGBROWNPOOP,
Thanks for clearifing exactly what the function is of the Neveda TSC, I did not know you also supported SCS but I did know your groups function was basic low level troubleshooting and are more like secretaries for ICS, TSG and NOC as you stated yet some of you have more common sense than the ICS, Everyone of them have an attitude and think their $%&t does not stink. I know the operations applications inside out yet we in TSG can see how we are being circumvented in order to cut the TSG staff no matter what the cost. Instead of the ICS working as a team player they are trying to play god, Most of my operations will now self generate services orders for me because they can not stand the process on getting issues resolved.

People like J Bevis had a plan in place years ago and will follow that plan even when it comes to light that what they are attempting to do is not the right thing, customer service is being downgraded and eventually the customer will jump the brown ship.

tieguy

Banned
The function of the group is the TSC (Technical Support Center). They are the national call center, servicing employees in the hubs with day to day issues with general technical inquiries to critical systems support. I am a "critical" technician (what a fancy way to make me feel special, awwwwww!) for the help desk, supporting Package and Automotive UPS technologies and PFT (Package Flow Technology) for the hubs.

subtle way of sounding important while trying to sound modest.

PFT would support the major systems that begin and process automated sorting of customer packages on a long assembly of conveyor belts, arms and push-package mechanics. When someone can't start the sort for the day, they call me and I check to see if the services on the servers are running correctly. If not, I get them to a level 2 Internal Customer Support (ICS) rep with a snooty attitude might I add.

despises level two reps.

With Package Operations, I support timecard systems, DIAD control systems (those little boards you sign are DIAD's), center reporting, label printing and application workstations, package clerks processing packages and the center manager, who's usually a waste of space

despises center managers.

and insist the techs work there "magic" immediately to instantly fix these critical systems. We aren't really even technicians, we are more like secretaries for ICS, TSG and NOC.

More of the I do a lot but I'm not really all that important false modesty routine.

How can you be a tech if all you do is get an IP address, remotely connect to the computer and go through a list of things to try?

How can you be a tech if you get an IP address and run through a list of predefined troubleshooting steps before contacting level two whom you despise? What should we call you then? A truck driver, delivery driver ? Hub sorter? Preloader?

S

Stallwarts

How can you be a tech if you get an IP address and run through a list of predefined troubleshooting steps before contacting level two whom you despise? What should we call you then? A truck driver, delivery driver ? Hub sorter? Preloader?

Tie,

I get what you are saying, but all this point-counterpoint horsecrap is useless.

The fact of the matter is that a technician's job at UPS is fine if you don't mind whether it includes mopping a floor, delivering a package, or mucking a stall.

What so many people fail to realize is that technicians love technology. Most technicians are passionate about what they can do, but not necessarily about what they really do at UPS.

How many drivers love stacking and unstacking boxes -- maybe some. If you ask them if they love the delivery field, maybe even more will say yes. The same thing applies to technicians.

There is "UPS" technicians and "the rest of the world of" technicians. At UPS, like so many other management and drivers, you get stuck in the job with wages, benefits, vacations, and etc.

Technicians from other companies have loyalties and velvet handcuffs, too. However, they are more willing to sell their craft to the highest bidder.

UPS has some of the most mudane, unsafe, and dirty work in America, yet technicians will wring hands and stress about leaving Brown. Once you are gone, as I am, it is embarrassing to realize what boring and unrewarding work you did just for good benefits and days off.

Technicians have a skill that companies are willing to reward. Instead of feeling like the redheaded step-sister to the ICS, just go somewhere else and you might rise to the ICS in a year or two.

If you are TSG in Wyoming, you know that there is no promotion path to Tier 2 or Tier 3 technician at UPS. If you want Tier 2 or Tier 3, you will have to move to Mahwah (if they will have you) or get a job with a company that has such levels in your town or state.

TSG is a dead-end for technology loving employees; it always has been and always will be. If your passion is UPS, move to management or delivery -- you will have more options and earn much more money. If really love technology, leave the company; there is nothing clearer to say. Please understand that I know you will lose vacations, etc. However, you will get vacations, sick-time, 401k, and the ability to have a vested retirement at most of the companies worth working for. If these things are more important than job satisfaction, then just do the job -- muck the stall and whistle while you work.

TSCer

Wow, I cant believe I actually agree with one of the biggest :censored2:s on this board. WTG Tie!

BrownTurd

Its all good!
Stallwarts,

I am sure what you wrote has some value but I don't want to sit here and try to decipher what you are stating, please write in english.