UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

tieguy

Banned
Not sure how asking a question equates to tossing around BS. Another question why are other posters here also saying Vegas is staffed by UPSers?

ncrtscisme

dablues,
so far it's been quick...we are given a list the day before of who will be picking the next day, along with a list of what jobs will be available. everytime someone picks, we all find out what they chose right away by word of mouth so the people who are next know what's left for them...so each meeting lasts only a few minutes. you just pick what you want to do and then sign a paper saying that you either chose to stay or you chose to leave. you don't sign the actual seperation agreement until the "mutually agreed upon date" ("mutual"...yeah, right!), whenever that is...none of the people choosing seperation have been given that date yet.

Rainman1

halo said:
I have been hearing from affected employee's that this downsizing is due to someone deciding that each tech should support 100 pc's. This apparently does not include external pc's, only internal. So, if an employee is domiciled at an extended center, such as myself, and I do not have 100 pc's to support, the support for my area will fall to the closest tech who does have 100 internal pc's to support.

Has anyone else heard of this 100 pc rule?

The rule is: 100 PCs per 8 hours of work per day.

Our district is counting internal and UPS owned external systems. They are using numbers from December (which more than doubled one building in January, but that does not matter) and are not including the multiple SCS we picked up or the over 1500 CTP systems that we do not support, but are constantly fixing. Region and corporate management is not interested in how many DIADs, scanners, Emeralds, or WAPs and WIDS sensors that may be around, PCs only.

V

Vegas TSC

tieguy said:
Not sure how asking a question equates to tossing around BS. Another question why are other posters here also saying Vegas is staffed by UPSers?

The guy may irritate you but his guess is right. Vegas is UPS and not outsourced.

T

TSCGal

You guys really have provided good information. All my time sleuthing and it was already posted here! HA! Jokes on me!

I have been told that I may have the opportunity to stay. While I realize this is a subjective decision, I'd like some opinions and it seems this group is the type to provide them.

I am currently TSC, the position is TSG. After reading posts, my concern is the reality of changing jobs. It's a different perspective and how much of the statements about the remaining people being overloaded, on call 24/7, working triple time etc are true or dramatic statements.

I like the security of having a job but have a small child and would like to see her grow up.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Vegas TSC said:
The guy may irritate you but his guess is right. Vegas is UPS and not outsourced.
If that is true, and if what we've been told by both our Region TSG Manager and our district HR Workforce Planning Manager is true (that once the TSC closes, the replacement will not be staffed by UPSers), then Vegas' days are also numbered....

ben_lurkin

Vegas is staffed by UPSers, that is a fact. They use to be an outsourced desk, but UPS bought the desk about 5 years ago. They fall under the same managment as the Customer Service call centers.

What proof does anyone have that the Vegas desk is going to get "TSC" jobs? Just curious. And can someone tell me what "light brown" is?

Any more word on another layoff coming and when or about the new BSC which could involve 100 PCs per tech? I'm curious if it is worth starying around or not. You guys always seem like you're a step ahead of our district! Thanks!!!

TSCer

TSCGal said:
You guys really have provided good information. All my time sleuthing and it was already posted here! HA! Jokes on me!

I have been told that I may have the opportunity to stay. While I realize this is a subjective decision, I'd like some opinions and it seems this group is the type to provide them.

I am currently TSC, the position is TSG. After reading posts, my concern is the reality of changing jobs. It's a different perspective and how much of the statements about the remaining people being overloaded, on call 24/7, working triple time etc are true or dramatic statements.

I like the security of having a job but have a small child and would like to see her grow up.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Heres what I think TSCGal.
1. This is no longer a secure job.
2. You are underpaid.
3. Raises at UPS suck.
4. No cost of living raise.
5. They keep raising the health insurance cost to you.
6. Your hard work here means nothing.
7. You get treated like garbage.
8. They will have no problem showing you the door when you need them the most. Like when you have 30 years in, are great at what you do and they act like you never did a thing to help the company be successful.
9. They treat management like crap so if you go that route you can depend on them to screw you and make sure you miss out on your kids childhood.
10. Opportunities only happen for you if you blow someone.
Thats all I can think of right now. If anyone can name one darn thing why working for UPS is a good thing, please let me know.

ImpactedTSG

The Vegas desk is not UPS employees. This info is from a guy on the team that is in charge of the new desk.

Tiegoof, if you have a better source, please speak up.

TSCer

Hey I need someone from 0251 to speak up. How was this handled in your district? I heard there was a list of jobs and a list of techs based on seniority and the picking began. Is this true?

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
ncrtscisme said:
dablues,
so far it's been quick...we are given a list the day before of who will be picking the next day, along with a list of what jobs will be available. everytime someone picks, we all find out what they chose right away by word of mouth so the people who are next know what's left for them...so each meeting lasts only a few minutes. you just pick what you want to do and then sign a paper saying that you either chose to stay or you chose to leave. you don't sign the actual seperation agreement until the "mutually agreed upon date" ("mutual"...yeah, right!), whenever that is...none of the people choosing seperation have been given that date yet.
When I was losing my job, I was never even given the "list" on UPS' Intranet from my Supe (bitch)! The manager in Security let me have the link. My own manager and supervisor could not even help me! I had to see my job taken on "the list", far before I was actually displaced. When I got to chose on the day my time came, there were a few open jobs way down south near the Mexican border. And they were less hours. I was told that if I took one of those (which I was not gonna do) that I'd have my new job "red circled" and I'd never get a raise. And then if I turned down those jobs, I'd get even more money in my severence package.

I called an old "friend" who is a supervisor at UPS. Since I've left there I've realized how much of a "friend" he really was. When I told him about the TSG layoffs he said to me in a very irritating tone "why are you keeping tabs on what's going on at UPS?" HE's actually become very rude to me. Funny how when I worked in HR everybody wants to be my friend, but now that I'm gone, I may as well be dead to everybody who used to want to be my friend.

I now have a very good job as a librarian at a medical college. And my manager is nice. And I work in a very good environment. I am so glad that I left the brown poop-hole called UPS. To everyone who is going thru this horrible experience; Rememeber, there is a way out, just get the heck out of that place and never look back. There are other jobs out there that are much better than UPS. Take the money and run!

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
TSCer said:
Heres what I think TSCGal.
1. This is no longer a secure job.
2. You are underpaid.
3. Raises at UPS suck.
4. No cost of living raise.
5. They keep raising the health insurance cost to you.
6. Your hard work here means nothing.
7. You get treated like garbage.
8. They will have no problem showing you the door when you need them the most. Like when you have 30 years in, are great at what you do and they act like you never did a thing to help the company be successful.
9. They treat management like crap so if you go that route you can depend on them to screw you and make sure you miss out on your kids childhood.
10. Opportunities only happen for you if you blow someone.
Thats all I can think of right now. If anyone can name one darn thing why working for UPS is a good thing, please let me know.

The only good thing at UPS was the benefits. I could not get better benefits anywhere like those at UPS. I had my stocks, 401K and I had Aetna insurance. I also had vision care. But that was the only thing good about working in the big brown poop-hole!

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
UPS_Techie said:
tieguy said:
Haha! Top Management material. I see your ATN people skills have flourished.

Are you the reason they're bringing in a new HR Manager?

I don't have a Double-Wide, I own a home (not that it matters).

You're ticked off and have nothing credible to add to this topic. Now you resort to the same condesending remarks that you :censored2: on this board.

Every post you put on here solidifies the fact that you are uninformed and an insensitive jerk. You can bash all of your (or UPS') employees because they don't have a House or make as much $$$ as you do. The fact still remains and you prove it - You're a bad person and not fit to Manage anyone. It's people like you that should be trimmed from the payroll. It's people like you that cause Tech/Admins to want a union.

All of my information has come to fruition, you're still tossing around BS.

Hey what's wrong with owning a double wide? You get rent control in those places. I'm hoping to buy one out in the country in about a year, after I'm finished with college. I've seen some really beautiful ones. My father lives in a Manufactured home in Rancho Mirage. It's really very nice.

TSCer

cinamingrl said:
The only good thing at UPS was the benefits. I could not get better benefits anywhere like those at UPS. I had my stocks, 401K and I had Aetna insurance. I also had vision care. But that was the only thing good about working in the big brown poop-hole!
Thanks for reminding me about another one of their shady practices. The 401k match. Their idea of matching your money is to give you friggin UPS stock that you make no money on. It just sits there, stagnant, begging to be put out of its misery. Your right about the benefits, they used to be good. Now they charge you a damn fortune to get them and are now charging us 20% of prescription prices for drugs. Wow what a great plan and what a great company. I cant imagine why they arent one of the 100 most admired anymore. They cant even get people to lie about how crappy they are.

ImpactedTSG

TSCer said:
Thanks for reminding me about another one of their shady practices. The 401k match. Their idea of matching your money is to give you friggin UPS stock that you make no money on. It just sits there, stagnant, begging to be put out of its misery. Your right about the benefits, they used to be good. Now they charge you a damn fortune to get them and are now charging us 20% of prescription prices for drugs. Wow what a great plan and what a great company. I cant imagine why they arent one of the 100 most admired anymore. They cant even get people to lie about how crappy they are.
They are one of the most admired because they only have positive press and stuff like the TSC closings after a record profit year don't make the news.

T

tscdude

Things were going great until "THE MEETTING" man did tht blow me away. I had joked about something like this lay off occuring but did not think it would come true.

Hey, not to be rude but Cinamingrll needs to go complain in another room! Her points don't help us at all. She kind of reminds me of Uncle Rico from napoleon dynamite... Get over it! We're looking for facts about our department and what people are seeing in other districts not about your life and your dream of a trailer. Once you get you job back at ups and join tsg do come back...

-napoleon

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
bigcomputergeek said:
Hey, not to be rude but Cinamingrll needs to go complain in another room! Her points don't help us at all. She kind of reminds me of Uncle Rico from napoleon dynamite... Get over it! We're looking for facts about our department and what people are seeing in other districts not about your life and your dream of a trailer. Once you get you job back at ups and join tsg do come back...

-napoleon
Ah bugger off loser! I have no intention of going back to the big brown poop-hole. But do have fun while you are in it. You're jealous because you are still stuck in it and I'm not, I've move in to a better job. And as for you attempt at an insult about a "trailer" that would be a typical ignorant comment.

Last edited: