UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

dberrones

Ex-TSC'er here. We were notified of the layoff in January, 2006 and our desk closed officially on July 28th. During the time between our notification and the actual shut down these are the types of comments we would get at the desk from users. "Which desk is this?" "This isn't the Las Vegas Help Desk, is it?" When they realized they had the Houston Desk most responded with a deep sigh of relief.

Many, many complaints about the LVHD and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better in the last month. I mean if you are having difficulty in resetting a RACFID you should just get your lunchbox and go home.

I could have stayed and took a TSG position but decided to cut my losses, take the SAP, and go. Ther ewas n oroom fro growth there for me.

I feel for the techs that chose to stay because from what my experience has been is that they will be pretty much be left to their own accord as far as the help desk goes. The "new and unimproved" LVHD is made up of SCS employees. Now what the hiring criteria was for hiring these so-called technicians I have no idea.

Ya know these folks just want to be employed like the rest of us. Unfortunately, the learning curve is great and so the other UPS employees get to suffer the brunt of this curve.

UPS was a "get your feet wet" kind of job for me and the expereince wasn't all bad however, I am looking forward to greener pastures.

Brown Assassin

Underpaid for too long
Its sad to read through this thread. I heard about these layoffs in the early stages. I worked with an individual that was even more pissed this was going to take place. And what was it for? To reduce staffing, payroll, long-term benefits.

My question though, wouldn't letting go of a few dozen upper level mgnt make a bigger impact to cost saving rather than letting go of the admin and techs that make peanuts? Heck, one manager's salary, plus bonus, plus stock is probably 5 or 6 times (maybe more:mad: ) than an admin or tech's wages. And really, how many levels of managers are really needed? Does a tech really need to report up through 3 or 4 levels?

Please.......this situation was poorly handled and just like a few years back with the ECTS closure in MoTown, many good folks had to take positions they didn't want if they planned on having a job, or weren't completely let go.

When will this end.

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
In the Cerritos hub where I used to work as an Admin. Assistant in HR, I was displaced a few years back. Now, still, they are letting go of Admin Assistants. Not just TSGers. A friend of mine who worked at UPS for the last 18 years, lost her job. She is now 64.

A

A Cowboy

After 600 posts and 50000 views I declare this thread downsized or fired. As for anyone comparing IT work with Package driver work and pay differances I invite all departing IT employees to take out a 150stp plus 30 pick-ups route out for a test drive,no doubt some would make it,most would understand the pay differance. We package drivers are still the face of the company and the vital link between packages at point A and B. I think losing your job is horrible but UPS's loss can be Google's gain. Next year our contract is up UPS will show what direction it wants to go in for the next 100 years I see storms on the Horizon but change is what drives Big buisness to grow. I wish you all good fortune in your futures.

A

Anonymous Cow

In an attempted to exceed his/her authority
After 600 posts and 50000 views I declare this thread downsized or fired.
As for anyone comparing IT work with Package driver work and pay differances I invite all departing IT employees to take out a 150stp plus 30 pick-ups route out for a test drive,no doubt some would make it,most would understand the pay differance.
...an offer that some former TSG/TSC wanted, but were told would NOT be available. I invite all drivers to be the only UPS person to appear on-site at shippers who are unable to use the shipping software....
We package drivers are still the face of the company and the vital link between packages at point A and B.
...and the Help Desk is the voice of the company when a shipper can not ship...
I think losing your job is horrible but UPS's loss can be Google's gain. Next year our contract is up UPS will show what direction it wants to go in for the next 100 years I see storms on the Horizon but change is what drives Big buisness to grow. I wish you all good fortune in your futures.
Losing the job was not so bad for many with technical knowledge beyond what UPS required. I expect that the next Teamsters/UPS contract will be for fewer than 100 years. I wish good luck to the Teamsters who work for UPS. (I do not believe that unions are outdated. I think they have a big future in the now-developing world.)

S

SEA1SUX

Word is that Beavis himself is visiting us this week. Oh joy! Maybe he has an extra special gift for us!

BrownTurd

Its all good!
I work TSG in California, we can see how we are getting hammered now to install WS03, PFT, Diad 4, MPLS and other applications before peak season to help ensure that IT in 2007 will basically be ran remotely, If we make it through 2007 it will be a miracle. The UPS website already has UPS ready vendors to take care of external customers and we have a couple of TEMP technicians from TEMP agencies who are working alone in a facility without any interaction with TSG technicians.

I say Bevis will tell us in Jan, 2007 that we will be layed off by July 2007.

I have been focusing on moving on, I have no desire to work IE or operations for after they pound TSG, next they will focus on IE, OE, BD, HR and Security....no management position is safe.

I have been with UPS for almost 10 years, longest I have stayed in one place and realize it is time to move on. I am preparing now to make this transition and would advise all TSG to do the same.

"I see the BROWN light"

BrownTurd

undercoversupe

Not to bring up an aold thread, but UPS is going to be it's own demise. At one point our TSG department had 8 external technicians. We now have 0 dedicated. We have 2 that share the responsibilities of internal/external. We used to take care of csutomers within 2 hours. It is now 2 weeks. We started losing big accounts. Mostly because of price, but some for the technical reasons. UPS can never compete with Fedex on price. Never. Not while Fedex is non union. The customer was willing to pay a higher price to get the extra help from technical resources. Fedex has always had the reputation of taking a week or so to take care of a computer issue. Now UPS is the same or worse in the support aspect. JMO... Oh yeah, JB Sucks. He is an IE idiot who loves to analyze things. When will Corp TSG realize he is the proble?

J

just "the boy"

So we now have 15 techs and 6 sups in our district!

Who let's this stuff happen?

On a differant note did anyone else catch the comm telling us our rights on the switches have been removed and that we now have to use some stupid web page to program our switches?!?

Oh yah, and we have to enter the planned day ahead of time in order to use the utility! LMAO!!!

What is brown going to do when something critical goes down and they are in desperate need of technical knowledge but all they have left is a room full of monkeys?

W

wardenofcows

So we now have 15 techs and 6 sups in our district!

Who let's this stuff happen?

On a differant note did anyone else catch the comm telling us our rights on the switches have been removed and that we now have to use some stupid web page to program our switches?!?

Oh yah, and we have to enter the planned day ahead of time in order to use the utility! LMAO!!!

What is brown going to do when something critical goes down and they are in desperate need of technical knowledge but all they have left is a room full of monkeys?

I hear you on the deskilling of the workforce.

But man, you got listen to those of us who have already left UPS. We keep telling you guys that what you think you are doing is high tech is nothing more than monkey work, already.

If you want, I can have all those that have left chime in to confirm that you have no skills already. It shocked the heck out of each of us that have left already. We thought we were "Billy Bad A$$es." What we(and you) are, are horse's a$$es.

You'll find that the best UPS technicians are average anywhere else. If you think you are being dumbed down, it is sad -- I know how bad you are already.

I mean no personal harm or attack at you guys -- I've been there. I understand. I just mean to tell me that the job is already gone, you are just still standing around collecting a check until they show you the door.

BrownTurd

Its all good!
We all know the hammer will drop, but why leave now, they pay us senior techs $28.00 - $29.50.... cant get that at too many places anymore for IT work in my area, I have a AS degree , MSCE (big deal), A+ (big deal), network+ (big deal) and security+ (yawn)..... and I do have my CISCO CCNA which is my favorite...... I say RIDE THE WAVE cause you can always get a job for $15-$20 bucks an hour.... just prep now and expect the expected.
BrownTurd

G

GotCerts

We all know the hammer will drop, but why leave now, they pay us senior techs $28.00 - $29.50.... cant get that at too many places anymore for IT work in my area, I have a AS degree , MSCE (big deal), A+ (big deal), network+ (big deal) and security+ (yawn)..... and I do have my CISCO CCNA which is my favorite...... I say RIDE THE WAVE cause you can always get a job for $15-$20 bucks an hour.... just prep now and expect the expected.
BrownTurd

Good to hear you have an education. Unfortunately, the education does not end with those -- I have each one of those, a couple of more certs, and a bachelors. I left UPS and found that hardly any company valued my resume. I wrote it over and over. The problem for educated guys like you and I is that no one cares about those things too much. Yeah, they want you to have those, but no, those pieces of paper ain't going to get you anything special.

What companies want is proven skills. UPS hires a tech by looking at the hub or a temp agency. A TSG manager, who oftens doesn't know much, will interview you -- that is it. At almost all other companies, you are interviewed by a panel of 4 or more technical people. They will test your paper skills as well as your vast UPS knowledge -- which will amount to very little -- seriously, no argument accepted.

There is jack that technicians (exception to Mahwah and Windward) do that rates above low-end at any other company. Again, if it bothers you that I say this, sorry. However, You got no argument -- I know the truth.

X

xtsg

it's true that our UPS skills are not good enough. I've also had to rework my resume hoping to make what I have look good enough for the outside world. I've been contracting for a while, and that's quite the eye-opener. I make half the money, but the skill set is what I'm after. I worked at UPS for almost 10 years, and chose to leave, because I got bored and they offered to pay me to leave, and I'm still glad I did. Like previous posters have stated, I've been interviewed by several real IT people who actually know their stuff, and know if I do or don't. I've taken hand written tests and tests over the internet, and I've gotten better because of the contracting. It's really tough out there, but don't regret anything, because there are more opportunities out there...you're just going to have to study and learn to catch up with the real IT people out there. It's been a real learning experience, but I'm glad I did it, because I've got so many more skills now than what I had 5 months ago. Yea, I know the job is cushy...but man it feels good to use my brain again!

G

GentleGym

it's true that our UPS skills are not good enough. I've also had to rework my resume hoping to make what I have look good enough for the outside world. I've been contracting for a while, and that's quite the eye-opener. I make half the money, but the skill set is what I'm after. I worked at UPS for almost 10 years, and chose to leave, because I got bored and they offered to pay me to leave, and I'm still glad I did. Like previous posters have stated, I've been interviewed by several real IT people who actually know their stuff, and know if I do or don't. I've taken hand written tests and tests over the internet, and I've gotten better because of the contracting. It's really tough out there, but don't regret anything, because there are more opportunities out there...you're just going to have to study and learn to catch up with the real IT people out there. It's been a real learning experience, but I'm glad I did it, because I've got so many more skills now than what I had 5 months ago. Yea, I know the job is cushy...but man it feels good to use my brain again!

There is a silver lining. If you can just get a job after leaving UPS, you will undoubtedly gain experience. Regardless of where it is, you'll be amazed at how much you are learning about technology.

What most TSG techs don't realize is that you are not working on industry standard stuff. You are all experts at UPS-technology -- which translate to nothing useful in the business world, sans transportation.

We, as TSG techs, know nothing about OS's and networks, we are, though, experts on PAS, EDD, DCS, DIAD, HFCS, etc. All of which get you a smirk and a "thank you for interviewing, next!" from other companies.

J

just "the boy"

But man, you got listen to those of us who have already left UPS. We keep telling you guys that what you think you are doing is high tech is nothing more than monkey work, already.

If you want, I can have all those that have left chime in to confirm that you have no skills already. It shocked the heck out of each of us that have left already. We thought we were "Billy Bad A$$es." What we(and you) are, are horse's a$$es.

You'll find that the best UPS technicians are average anywhere else. If you think you are being dumbed down, it is sad -- I know how bad you are already.

I mean no personal harm or attack at you guys -- I've been there. I understand. I just mean to tell me that the job is already gone, you are just still standing around collecting a check until they show you the door.

Ok that's cool, but how does one get hired into a decent paying job with no skills?

Where did you apply at, how did you get your job leads, how did you get the initial interview? How did you make it through a panel type interview if you didn't know jack when you were fresh off the UPS boat?

Also, it would be great to hear what types of jobs former TSG/TSC people have got and at what types of companies. Have a lot of you moved to small companies as opposed to the big giant corporations? How does pay and benefits compare? If anyone were brave enough to post the company they are now at that would be incredible, but if not that's understandable.

X

xtsg

I got caught up on skills by doing contracting work. I'm still looking for a permanent position, but until then, I'll continue to contract. I've interviewed at many places, and I can tell you that my UPS skill set just didn't cut the cake. The more I contract, the more skills I will gain. It may take some time, but I'm going to hang in there. What other choice do I have. Stay at UPS, be bored out of your mind, try not to realize you're just a monkey. Or, get out into the REAL world, and make a go of it. I chose the latter, and I have no regrets. I've been doing a lot of studying on my own, and that definitely helps. How do I know what to study? Well, after those interviews, I knew what they were looking for, and what I didn't have. Keep studying, learn some html and light programming, study up on cisco routers and server technology, study up on active directory, build your own server at home, etc...With our UPS skill set, we may just be an entry level in the REAL world, so be ready for that. It's not going to feel good, but it's a start. Theres always someone out there with better skills that UPS folk, and that makes things really hard out here. I'll let you know when I get a permanent position, but until then, I suggest you try contracting too.

I

inanothertime

Ok that's cool, but how does one get hired into a decent paying job with no skills?

Where did you apply at, how did you get your job leads, how did you get the initial interview? How did you make it through a panel type interview if you didn't know jack when you were fresh off the UPS boat?

Also, it would be great to hear what types of jobs former TSG/TSC people have got and at what types of companies. Have a lot of you moved to small companies as opposed to the big giant corporations? How does pay and benefits compare? If anyone were brave enough to post the company they are now at that would be incredible, but if not that's understandable.

Ok.

I left TSG in February 2006 -- I volunteered.

I thought I would get a job immediately. I didn't.

I applied to everything in the local paper, monster.com, applied to temp agencies, sent my resume to technical recruiters -- all this is on the internet in your town (even the newspapers have jobs online -- unless you live in Mayberry, RFD).

The key to my success is that I never stopped learning new things outside UPS. I got 7 certifications, I worked part-time as a consultant, I also pushed the envelope at UPS when I could.

Like other UPSers I know, I didn't get a call on 90% of the applications I submitted.

The job I got was from a newspaper article. Supposedly, your best chance for a job is using human-networking (your friends, aquaintances, your external customers, etc.).

The job title is Computer Analyst. It is similar to a TSG job. The difference is that I administrate my own servers, I support industry standard applications, and the users are more appreciative.

The job pays the exact same as I made at UPS. The medical benefits are better. The dental is about the same. There is no 3% matching 401k.

I work for a school system in a high school -- that is all I do -- I stay in a High School supporting the technology (450+ workstations, 125+ workstations, 100 networked digital projectors, 65 IP cameras, 45 networked printers, 120 teachers and administrators, and 1400 students -- all with network accounts).

I have more responsibility than I ever did at UPS. I also like the job. In the beginning I liked TSG. Several years into the job, I hated it. I hated it for about 8 years. It affects you more than you think -- it creeps into your personal time away from UPS.

How did I get the job? I interviewed well. I was later told that I got the job because of my communications skills. They said they thought I had good technical skills, but they liked my interpersonal skills more. They stated that you can build a "technician's" skillset, but you cannot make a balanced demeanor. It bothered me that they took me more for my customer service skills over technical skills -- but,... hell, I got a job.

Luckily, now that I have the job, I have proved that I have skills. I learn quickly, so I am adding skills everyday.

Leaving UPS was the biggest decision in my life -- it was easier to ask my wife to marry me -- it was easier to take on a big mortgage. It took me years to leave. If not for the downsizing and the payoff for volunteers, I would probably still be at UPS.

I don't miss UPS in the least. I miss the people, that's it.

UPS is a big, powerful, and wealthy company. It is also a company that is dramatically different than the one I was so enchanted with 16 years ago.

Stay if you like it, leave if you don't. I should have left 5 or more years ago. I didn't and I regret it. If you want to leave right now, you might not be able to right now. Get your finances in order, get a couple of certifications, read about the hottest technologies and learn the lingo. Survey your city or town and get a real understanding of the job market -- UPS might be the best thing in town -- you never know!

If you really want something different, you'll find the way. I hated TSG, but I loved the benefits, time off, and the relative ease of the job. I wanted to got, but I was scared of the unkown. I am now ashamed of myself. There is so much more to your technical career than TSG. There is also so much more to life than Big Brown.

I have friends in TSG who hate the job as much as I did/do. They are finding their way to leaving -- it might take them a long time. I understand, it took me a long time.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
(Rather than quote all that text, I replaced the quote with a link.)

My experience was the same in some respects, and quite different in others....

I left TSG in February 2006. However, I did not have to volunteer to go, because the guy ahead of me took the last of the UPS positions. But I had already made the decision to leave.

I thought it would take a long time to get a job. I collected one week of unemployment (which means I had two weeks off before starting the new job).

Human networking worked for me: My wife told people about my impending situation, and one of them happened to know of a startup company that was looking for tech support.

I interviewed well. My preparation for the job search concentrated on selling myself - something that has been a weak point in the past. This small company had no in-house technical expertise, and the interview was not like the usual corporate tech-job interview. I think the line, "Tech support is about supporting people" is what got them.

Benefits are not as good overall. I like the medical coverage better here, most of the other benefits are not as good as UPS. It will take me 5 years to get back to having the amount of vacation to which I have become accustomed.

I have more responsibility than I had at UPS. I am the IS Department.
I am making a lot more money. (This company pays well to overcome the relative lack of benefits. I got a 45% raise from my UPS pay. And another 3% after 8 months. There is a profit sharing plan, but that does not kick in until we start showing a profit....)

I also miss the people I worked alongside. However, many of us - both former and still-current UPS TSG - subscribe to a mail list. We techies keep in touch electronically. Some of us get together one evening each month, too.