UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

ncrtscisme

by the way, packageguylv...about TSGers closing incompleted S/O's just to meet SLA...I've seen that done a million times when I was working on the help desk and I asked some TSG people and the answer was pretty much unanimous: Management cares more about the numbers than anything else, including customer service and integrity, so getting those S/O's closed on time was the #1 priority and most TSGers regretted having to do that.

I sure as hell hope you guys in LV don't have to deal with the same twisted bureaucracy we had to deal with...then again, if you're really "full brown" or whatever it's called, I'm sure you do.

HELLO TO ALL REGION 02 TSGers, FROM A FORMER REGION 02 TSCer!!!!

nerrollus

Being one of the people who works on the current TSC is Las Vegas let me say this .....

Getting phone calls from TSG's every night asking us to do their job doesnt hold well got the TSG's being intellegent ... **** dude i asked a TSG to check windows event viewer and he had no idea what it was .... I mean come on man ... Microsoft 101 Reboot and Check Event Viewer ... on top of that i make about $5 less an hour than him ... WTF ... how can i get such a cushey job where i just call guys making less money than me to do MY job ... friend'n please

Your all sitting here bitching about cutting jobs ... bla bla bla ... Mabe if you guys actually KNEW what you were doing they wouldnt have cut your jobs ... The TSG's are lazy ... they would rather call the Help Desk and get answers than actually do some research on their own ... Granted Project Notebook is piece of crap but at least check it before you call.

Stop your bitching and learn to do your job so your not replaceble by someone more knowledgable that can sit on a telephone and do your job.

Do i hate UPS yes I do ... but I hate TSG's even more.

Bunch of lazy bastards

and Dont even get me started on ICS !!!

That's funny coming from the Vegas helpdesk ... Since they moved to the Vegas helpdesk I've heard nothing but complaints about you guys. Everytime I get dispatched to a problem I have to spend the first 10 minutes listening to the user bitch about how ignorant you guys are. And I don't mind telling you I've never had a "good" call when talking to you guys. Hell all the people I know will do everything possible and avoid calling you guys at all costs. And to make matters worse, probably 90% of my logs are now tech jack self service orders because I can't get the users to call the UPS-TECH number because everyone hates dealing with the new Vegas desk.

So before you start getting all high and mighty, you might look at your own. I used to bitch about how stupid some of the old help desk people are, but I'd take even the worst of them over the morons at Vegas any day of the week. God I miss the old TSC06 guys ...

Rainman1

First, a technician is not a TSG. A TSG is a Technology Support Group, if the help desk is as smart as you say, they would not make that mistake, constantly.

One of those brilliant help desk technicians opened a service order because the NIC connection LED was on, 'NIC may need to be replaced'. I see the knowledge level is high.

ODS does not work, did browser basics. UDC will not start, did browser basics. The room door will not open, did browser basics. Here's an idea, skip the reboot, leave the browser closed, and just fix the problem.

Questions for you:
Can you turn on a server or workstation from your Blackberry?
How you remove a local printer without logging a standard user off?
If you hate UPS, why stay?

I could go on, but what is the point?

A

And whats wrong with ICS?

Since the blame game is going on between LV HD, TSC and ICS... I feel compelled to know what y'all think about ICS.
The writing is on the wall at ICS and people are trying to bail out.

You think you have a problem with ICS... the brain drain is getting worse there. All those who have transferrable skills and also see the trend in UPS and its alignment/restructing process are bailing out of ICS before it becomes part of LV HD. Then customers (internal) with really be jacked up in terms of support.

I feel sorry for the LV HD coz you guys dont know the systems yet, and there's hope that you'll grasp it one day. However, UPS mgmnt is partly to blame, you cant just lay off people and open a new call center and expect the same results from the closed call centers. If that is how UPS's mgmnt thinks, then I am selling all my stock coz brown aint going anywhere but down. Sorry to say that, but the first ammendment allows me to say this.

To the webmaster, please don't censor this...

C

Craiger or Keystones

First, a technician is not a TSG.

Questions for you:
Can you turn on a server or workstation from your Blackberry?
How you remove a local printer without logging a standard user off?
If you hate UPS, why stay?

I could go on, but what is the point?

Dude,

I am glad you have skills -- you would be that proverbial needle in the haystack.

I left UPS. I thought I had skills. I had to learn a great deal. What you have is UPS technology skills -- which relate to very little in an industry standard technology company.

About half the people I work with now are 55+ year old women. I cannot think of a single one that wouldn't smoke 95% of the UPS technicians I met over the years.

It isn't for a lack of wanting/trying on the UPS tech's part. It is just the nature of UPS -- they don't want skilled workers.

UPS technicians are a hybrid. You don't support, at an expert level, anything that directly relates to non-UPS technology. Think of it, how many of you know SMS, DNS, DHCP, AD, Wireless, WIDS, IOS, etc. I know you may have heard the terms, and even maybe seen the acroynms on a server or in a UPS technical manual. But, how many of you know what they are and can support them.

The ugly truth is that virtually no-one can. It is not your fault, though. It doesn't mean you are stupid. UPS doesn't want you to know.

In my experience, only the Mahwah guys ever impressed me. The rest of the Helpdesks sucked.

You guys shouldn't be fighting back and forth like this. You are fighting over who's captain of the retarded Computer Club.

You are all winners in my book!!! Now line up for your participation trophy.

TSCer

Dude,

I am glad you have skills -- you would be that proverbial needle in the haystack.

I left UPS. I thought I had skills. I had to learn a great deal. What you have is UPS technology skills -- which relate to very little in an industry standard technology company.

About half the people I work with now are 55+ year old women. I cannot think of a single one that wouldn't smoke 95% of the UPS technicians I met over the years.

It isn't for a lack of wanting/trying on the UPS tech's part. It is just the nature of UPS -- they don't want skilled workers.

UPS technicians are a hybrid. You don't support, at an expert level, anything that directly relates to non-UPS technology. Think of it, how many of you know SMS, DNS, DHCP, AD, Wireless, WIDS, IOS, etc. I know you may have heard the terms, and even maybe seen the acroynms on a server or in a UPS technical manual. But, how many of you know what they are and can support them.

The ugly truth is that virtually no-one can. It is not your fault, though. It doesn't mean you are stupid. UPS doesn't want you to know.

In my experience, only the Mahwah guys ever impressed me. The rest of the Helpdesks sucked.

You guys shouldn't be fighting back and forth like this. You are fighting over who's captain of the retarded Computer Club.

You are all winners in my book!!! Now line up for your participation trophy.

Great Post dude. Very entertaining and funny! I must say I feel like I must be one of the few that actually learned something while I was there. I am doing very well now, supporting a great user base with management that actually has a clue! And guess what? They actually appreciate and value me! It is amazing! I was actually upset while I worked there because I never got the recognition or promotions that I know I deserved. Now I thank God I didnt. I still want to give some payback to those haters though!

Ncrtscisme.... I miss ya buddy! Looovvvvvveeee the icon!

Now on to the the LV person. I cant believe we are finally hearing from one of the scabs! Its about time! Let me tell you first of all now that all of the real TSC's are gone. You have less than a year to be employed by this company. Preperations are already under way to move the operation to INDIA. No BS! So enjoy the lies while you can and tell Gino REG02 TSC says WASSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPP!

R

R06 is tha SH1T!!1!

Greetings!

My thoughts on the current subject!

I do find it irritating when the Las Vegas TSC escalates a case to TSG to handle when it could have just as easily been handled over the phone and remoting into the system.

Case in point--> the IShip fiasco that occurred this past week. This could have been handled by the help desk, but instead, TSG was called in to fix the problems. It hurt us because it, once again, screwed up our planned and completed work. It's all about the numbers, right? Then again, I'm preaching to the choir, huh? ;)

ICS - I enjoy speaking with them. They are pretty knowledgeable and are great about escalating (also knowing when and where to escalate the issue to) an issue once TSG is stumped. I have nothing but praise for them.

I have seen the Las Vegas help desk improve, but then again, it's been a couple of months and I honestly do not call TSC but two or three times a month. I rely on my TSG coworkers instead. I just WISH that I could give the TSC'ers who do a good job a survey. (and the really bad ones as well!)

ncrtscisme

Rock on, TSCer! I'm glad things are looking good for you and I miss working with ya! Just thought my new icon would spice things up a little bit here.

Packageguylv, give Gino a big WAAASSSUUUPPP from me too!!!

And I can say I totally agree with that post from "Craiger or Keystones"...I'd say I'm a halfway-decent tech, done a lot of stuff at home such as building PCs and messing with software and a little dabbling with Suse Linux recently...but it's been over 6 months now and I'm still unemployed. Of course, I spent the first 3 months busy with moving out-of-state and doing some fun stuff in the beautiful area that I now reside, but I've been on a few interviews so far and am realizing that I really DON'T have the kind of skills company's are really looking for. Just when I think the interview goes well, I either find out that they went with someone with more server/administrative skills or I just don't hear back from them at all. Yeah, I could probably easily land a job making 1/2 the money UPS paid me, but I don't live at home and need to make enough to get by! Companies nowadays seem to want a technician who can hit the ground running with expert knowledge and willing to take $12 an hour. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though, so it's not the end of the world (YET!).

U

UPS

Companies nowadays seem to want a technician who can hit the ground running with expert knowledge and willing to take $12 an hour. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though, so it's not the end of the world (YET!).

I hate hearing this information, but agree. Here are the facts: People from foreign countries can remote in and resolve software issues. That just leaves the hardware issues: Keep a low paid tech around and the rest is history. It burns me alive because I see people in BD making a whole lot more and knowing/doing a whole lot less.

nerrollus

I hate hearing this information, but agree. Here are the facts: People from foreign countries can remote in and resolve software issues. That just leaves the hardware issues: Keep a low paid tech around and the rest is history. It burns me alive because I see people in BD making a whole lot more and knowing/doing a whole lot less.

That's the current theory with us. We think they're going to move all the software support to the TSC and ICS. They'll have the users swapping all their own printers and scanners. Then they'll pay some noob $10 and hour to come in a few times a week to rebuild spare PC's, hardware troubleshoot, etc. Why not?

ncrtscisme

Funny to think that 10 years ago I got into the computer field because it was the "wave of the future"...now I'd give anything to go back and do it all over with a different profession (health care maybe?). I'm not happy at all with where it's all going.

When I was working at UPS, I thought I would have an actual CAREER...that the company would actually take care of us, even when our jobs weren't needed they would maybe move us to other departments or something. That's probably what UPS would have done in the past, before it went public and changed its whole attitude towards its employees and their families. It's pretty shameful, I think.

Well I'm doing my part...I use either the nearby FedEx/Kinkos or USPS anytime I need a package shipped. Now if every person on the planet could do the same...(ha ha)

nerrollus

Funny to think that 10 years ago I got into the computer field because it was the "wave of the future"...now I'd give anything to go back and do it all over with a different profession (health care maybe?). I'm not happy at all with where it's all going.

When I was working at UPS, I thought I would have an actual CAREER...that the company would actually take care of us, even when our jobs weren't needed they would maybe move us to other departments or something. That's probably what UPS would have done in the past, before it went public and changed its whole attitude towards its employees and their families. It's pretty shameful, I think.

Well I'm doing my part...I use either the nearby FedEx/Kinkos or USPS anytime I need a package shipped. Now if every person on the planet could do the same...(ha ha)

Same here ... 100%

A

AxelForward

Same here ... 100%

You know, my knee-jerk response is the same, however, I want UPS to have money for my retirement.

I don't support shipping with UPS, but I don't bash them in public, either.

Of all the places I have worked, I cannot think on another that I have so many bad feelings about.

From overpaid underthankful drivers, to overworked and hoodwinked PT management, to overpaid and under-intelligent FT management, to Dale Jarrett sucking, to UPS going NASCAR Toyota, to loud hubs and smokey centers.

UPS really only excited me about retirement prospects -- once that dried up, the whole place just sucks.

Oh, and don't forget the forced minority leadership. Try to get a promotion if you are lightskinned.

Yuck.

BrownTurd

Its all good!
I am in TSG and yes I do miss the old TSC, I met a few and enjoyed our conversations, the great thing about them is they had a knowledge DB and if they could not help you within a reasonable time they would escalate it with you and we always seemed to get the issue resolved with one phone call.

Not the same anymore, Vegas TSC can not even setup a printer, all they do is fill out our information and send it to the ICS group, they are just an annoying buffer.

I had one issue where the TSC tried to resolve a SQL error on P001, lol, and I asked him to escalate after he could not resolve, 4 hours later I received a log for that same problem.

BrownTurd

BrownTurd

Its all good!
We just received news that in JAN/07 TSG managers will start dissappearing, we will now report to an Area Manager who will in turn report to the region so insread of 7 TSG managers in our region we will have about 3 Area managers instead.

They said techs ands sups will stay the same but next they will eliminate some sups and techs until they get to be where they want to be..

S

sea1sux

We just received news that in JAN/07 TSG managers will start dissappearing, we will now report to an Area Manager who will in turn report to the region so insread of 7 TSG managers in our region we will have about 3 Area managers instead.

They said techs ands sups will stay the same but next they will eliminate some sups and techs until they get to be where they want to be..

Similar stuff here. We are losing 2 sups, supposedly no techs... sure

PODUNKyMonkey

Ok that's cool, but how does one get hired into a decent paying job with no skills?

Where did you apply at, how did you get your job leads, how did you get the initial interview? How did you make it through a panel type interview if you didn't know jack when you were fresh off the UPS boat?

Also, it would be great to hear what types of jobs former TSG/TSC people have got and at what types of companies. Have a lot of you moved to small companies as opposed to the big giant corporations? How does pay and benefits compare? If anyone were brave enough to post the company they are now at that would be incredible, but if not that's understandable.

The 2007 IT Salary Guide

The 2007 IT Salary Guide

"A recent survey of CIOs revealed that the most in-demand skills are Windows administration, Network administration (Cisco, Nortel, Novell), Database management (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2), Wireless network management, and Firewall administration. Also near the top of the list were Business Intelligence services, .NET development, XML development, and ERP implementation. To view the average salaries for today’s tech jobs, GO TO 2007 IT SALARY GUIDE. "

Rainman1

Dude,

Don't get me wrong, I know UPS teaches nothing. Actually, it seems that UPS reduces knownledge level. I am lucky enough to have 20 years of non-UPS experience. It irritates the hell out of me every day to see the idiotic way UPS does things, such as:

Plug both power supplies from the LOEIS into UPS 1. What if the unit fails?
Plug both NICs into the same switch, even if multiple switches are available. What If the switch fails?

So I keep the skillset up on my own. In one of the hubs in my district, I have set up a DL380-G4 running multiple SQL Servers with over 1TB of RAID5 space spread over fifteen drives, protected by hot spares, redundantly configured BackUPS 750s and network connections. Quite non-standard, corporate will freak once they notice it, but it is fun while it is there.

A fun way to screw with annoying users is to set the fan idle speed to it highest setting on every system in the room.

mobias

I heard from an IS supervisor that there will be layoffs but she was not told who is targeted. This is by design as it keeps all employees on edge and productivity goes up due to fear of losing one's job. They can get more squeezed out of the employees before they kick them out. With every new management decision, it's a wonder that UPS can get any worse but it never ceases to amaze.